PDA

View Full Version : Choosing phosban reactor for 250 gal tank?

surgeonfish
01-08-2007, 01:45 AM
I have a reef tank with lots of fish. Despite my best efforts, my phosphate levels are usually >1ppm. I would like to reduce this with a phosphate reactor.

For a 250 gal. system, what size and kind of phosphate reactor should I use? As far as I can tell, the only one readily available in Canada is the Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150. It is suppose to have a capacity up to 150 gal. I don’t think this would be large enough.

Does anyone recommend a different brand with a higher capacity or should I try running two Phosban 150 Reactor’s together? Does anyone run more than one, and if so, do you run them separately or together as a circuit?
Tanks,
Shane

Psyire
01-08-2007, 02:02 AM
I run 2 in series on my large setup. (220g total)

Tarolisol
01-08-2007, 03:39 AM
I dont think the amount of reactors would have an effect, on a larger system you would have to replace the media more often though. I have a regular phosban reactor on my 225 and its working amazingly, killing algea like theres no tomorrow.

Sushiman
01-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Go to J&L Aquatics & check out the Deltec reactors they have. www.jlaquatics.com

G1GY
01-08-2007, 04:01 AM
Go to J&L Aquatics & check out the Deltec reactors they have. www.jlaquatics.com

About 5 times the price(give or take) as the one he was talking about though.

Sushiman
01-08-2007, 04:06 AM
I've been thinking of running two on my 90gal; one for phosban & the other for Purigen. I was thinking of running them with a MJ600 but a 400 might be fine & simply run them in sequence.

Chowder
01-08-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm running two on my 65 . One for Rowa Phos and the other carbon. I'm running with a maxi 400 in sequence. Seems to work well 0 ppm phos and good clarity on the water.

scub steve
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm running two on my 65 . One for Rowa Phos and the other carbon. I'm running with a maxi 400 in sequence. Seems to work well 0 ppm phos and good clarity on the water.

me too but on my 30

Delphinus
01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Precision Marine makes a substrate reactor which is the same thing as the TLF Phosban reactor but comes in two sizes and the larger one looks fairly significantly larger at 26" heigh with a 4" diameter chamber (the smaller one looks to me roughly the same size as the TLF). Although J&L doesn't list it on their site, I inquired with them a couple months ago and they can order you one.

But running them in series works too if you need more media.

I have two (of the TLF Phosban reactors that is), each running carbon on different tanks (for which they work really well). I have one of the first models and one that I bought a couple months ago. The new design is much much much better, so much easier to work with. The early models had a bolted flange, but the new ones have a twist lock. Changing out media on the newer model is a snap.

mark
01-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Though realizing DIY with acrylic is a little more involved than just cutting and gluing, seems a phosban reactor would be a relatively simple DIY project.

kwirky
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Though realizing DIY with acrylic is a little more involved than just cutting and gluing, seems a phosban reactor would be a relatively simple DIY project.

$50 generally for a two little fishies phosban reactor. I think unless you were making a bunch of these things like an assembly line, it wouldn't be worth the time. Unless you're godly with acrylic and can whip one up in no time (which is not me lol)