PDA

View Full Version : Current USA vs. Coralife...

X-Treme
01-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I am gonna be starting up a 20 gallon nano in the next little while and am wondering who makes the better light? I am basically looking at the Coralife 24" AquaLight Pro Metal Halide Fixture - 1 x 250W (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-esu.php?product_ID=mh-calp242) and the Current USA Outer Orbit series model number 1075 (http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html).

I would like to be able to keep ANYTHING I might find that I like in this tank. Any opinions on whether the Current USA is much better and if so, does the "betterness" justify the increased cost?

ANY and ALL opinions welcome.

PS. - Anyone have one of these for sale?

Murminator
01-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Holy shat lotsa money for such a wee light

Chaotic Cricket
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
If you want soemthing like what you posted links to, I'd go with this for a nano from current usa.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13975&N=2004+2035+113030
I also think the aquamedic pendants ar nice for what they do.

X-Treme
01-08-2007, 02:31 AM
LOL Murray. I know, but this is gonna be "The" s/w tank for my house, so I wanna do it right the first time. Not gonna go any bigger than a 20.

G1GY
01-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Not gonna go any bigger than a 20.

:lol:

Wanna bet?

If you go with the Current USA Outer Orbit series model number 1075, maybe look into a chiller. :)

Chin_Lee
01-09-2007, 04:46 PM
if you want to keep anything and everything in the 20, 1x250 is more than enough. Many people have been successful using the general coverage of a 250W to cover a 2x2x2 space. I would even consider the 150 HQI model for a 20g.
For the lighting options, given the tank size and conditions of which you have posted, the Aqualight fixture is really your only choice. The Orbit will be overpowering for many of your corals in a 20g and it will easily overheat unless, like previously mentioned, you have a cooling method in place.
If you were looking to upgrade to larger tank tank in the future, I would consider the Orbit.
My opinion is if you are able to get a bigger tank, you should consider doing it now since the cost of a 20g tank compared to something a little bigger (ie 30-50g) will be a fraction of the cost between the two lighting fixture of which you are considering. its about 600 bucks for the Coralife, a tank upgrade to something bigger will only be $40-50.

Ruth
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
To further what Chin said I would also consider going with a bigger tank to start off.
There is a lot more that good light required to keep healthy coral IMO. Water quality is your first and foremost requirement for keeping healthy fish and corals. I would rate water quality and water movement ahead of light when it comes to the health of a reef system.
With a 20g tank it is a lot harder to keep pristine, consistent water quality than it is with a larger system - it can be done with a low bio load, good skimming, good water movement, meticulous water changes and cleaning.
JMO

andresont
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I second the opinion that water movement and quality goes beore light.

kwirky
01-22-2007, 07:13 PM
so I wanna do it right the first time. Not gonna go any bigger than a 20.

famous last words...

that's what I said with my 18g nano, and now I have a 120g tank, and planning for a second, specialty tank of some sorts :D