PDA

View Full Version : bubble tower

balistidae
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
anyone have a diy for one of these?? i have seen some posts about "mark f's corner bubble tower". I would like to see a picture or two of one and what to make one out of as space is a factor in my sump. Thank you all, Greg

Pescador
01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Here's a link to some pics of a bubble tower made from acylic on Melev's site but you can easily make one yourself from a piece of PVC pipe on end with holes drilled at the bottom.
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/a/sump_model_a.html

mark
01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
When I first did my returns had both 2" pipes going direct to sump with lots of bubbles so did a tower.

Got a 10x10x16h bucket (dog biskets pail), drilled some 1/2" holes on the sides at the bottom, placed in sump with returns into it. Microbubbles were just about all gone. Added large 100 micro bag over both drains and that has the bubbles pretty much eliminated (plus the benifits of the bags).

Seen nicer version where you took two pieces of Plexiglas and form a box in the corner of the sump with notches on the bottom (think upside down overflow tower) and run returns into that.

hqgc
01-08-2007, 12:49 AM
What exactly is a bubble tower and what does it do ? I have a problem with microbubbles and lots of bubbles going into my sump so maybe this is the answer......

Funky_Fish14
01-08-2007, 03:03 AM
All it does is allow flow from an overflow to enter into that section, (one blocked off from the main area of the sump), and the top is open to the air, and in the bottom there are notches/holes etc.., this way, the flow is reduced and the bubbles are allowed to rise to the surface to pop and the flow goes downward and out the notches/holes in the bottom, bubble free!

Chris