PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Med Power Sweep

hqgc
01-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Does anybody know how to keep this powerhead rotating? It always seems to jam up and I'm ready to toss it. Thanks

andsoitgoes
01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
lol - yeah, prayers.

I use mine in my mixing bucket now, don't trust it anywhere else.

X-Treme
01-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I've only had mine about 3-4 months, but I just pull it all apart and clean ALL the parts with a toothbrush and it seems to work great for me.

Chaloupa
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
both of mine have the same problem....the little tooth comes out of the holder and no more rotating. Sucks cause I really like it when it rotates. I clean mine ALOT and then put it back together but they do stop really easily...

oilfieldsafety
01-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I've had mine running for 14 months and have only cleaned it twice. If it stops rotating I find that it is more often than not just build up in the sponge.

Kryten
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I've had one for close to a year now and just take it apart and clean it once every 3 months or so when it stops rotating and then it's good to go again. Aside from the internals getting gunked up, you may also need to make sure the outer edges aren't getting stuck because of coralline algae buildup.

Diana
01-09-2007, 06:18 PM
They work good at first then after a year or so will generally stop working properly. Problem is with the plastic gears they use inside. Keeping it clean will help in the short run, but IME, these powerheads will not last long as they were designed.

canadawest
01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Bought a pair of these when I was new to the hobby about 5-6 years ago.

Same experience as others above, little buggers get clogged with even a grain of sand and stop rotating. If you pull apart and keep clean often they do live up to thier "sweeping" billing. Flow rates on them are paltry though even when operating as advertised. They barely move any water volume.

I would vote for Power-Sweeps on the Top 10 crappiest products for the saltwater aquarium. Live and learn when wasting money as a newbie.

You are better off with a bulletproof Maxijet powerhead and one of the new Hydor rotating devices attached to it. I have had one running for 2 months and no problems. A friend has had one in his tank for 8 months and only removed it to clean it once in that time.

Just my $0.02 worth