PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Skimmers

Slick Fork
01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Anybody using this skimmer?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps9005

If so, how do you like it? I'm considering this for my 100 gallon, the big draw for me is the ability to convert it from a HOB to an in sump model as I don't have my sump set up yet and at the rate I'm going, it might a while before I do. This seems like a pretty good way to get some skimming action going while I get everything else done!

Cheers

andresont
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Anybody using this skimmer?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps9005

If so, how do you like it? I'm considering this for my 100 gallon, the big draw for me is the ability to convert it from a HOB to an in sump model as I don't have my sump set up yet and at the rate I'm going, it might a while before I do. This seems like a pretty good way to get some skimming action going while I get everything else done!

Cheers
I like Tunze skimmers, i used to have 230/3 and loved it.
BTW this skimmer is not HOB it is "in the tank or in the sump"
Before i used DIY, Red sea Berlin, and ETS with mag 18 pmp. ETS was very good skimming, but a lot of noise and power consumption Red sea was inefficient even on 33 Gal tank (heavy fish load), I have seen Euro Reef running on some old tanks and was unimpressed I dont know why so many reefers like it so much.(well so many opinions, so meny people like blonds...I like brunettes)
Alot of people will argue that Tunze do not produce thick heavy dry skimmate and this is true, however keep in mind that Tunze is DOC (Dissolved Organic Compound ) and that is exactly what they skimm.My 230/3 Tunze did skimm only dark colored tea like thick liquid and my tank was in very good condition... and skimmer is plankton friendly.
My point being is Tunze is quiet, easy to clean, power ifficient, and a lot better compare to what I had before. I know some people who in the hobby for 17 years and they run Tunze 230/3 and 240/3 on their tanks and like it a lot.
I would consider more powerfull skimmer because there is no overskimmimg out there (i also never met or herd of anybody saing that skimmer was too powerfull for the tank size).
Deltec HOB can be used inside the sump also and water lewel is not an issue for Deltec. Tunze needs constant water lewel though.
Now i am using Deletc MEC 600 HOB like it so far.
Skimmers ar tuchy subject and you will have to make your own mind just make sure you get something for 500$ or more anything less then that is actually more expensive to have because you will need to sell it and buy bigger and better one anyway.
Good luck reefing :)

Slick Fork
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've read some great reviews on them as well over at Reef Central. I'm now considering stepping up to the 9010 but am not completely sure. I'm wanting to keep softies/lps (no interest in sps) and am a little concerned about having water with nothing in it for the corals to eat!

Also... does anybody know anyone in Calgary/Edmonton that stocks these? I have nothing against ordering in, but if I can at least give the local guys a shot at matching online prices I like to do that when I can!

Cheers