PDA

View Full Version : BTA and Lighting

RicePaddy
01-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I purchased a GBTA about two months ago. When I purchased her she was a beautiful translucent green. As time goes on she seems to be becoming a darker green. I feed her once very two to three days chunks of fresh shrimp from the local grocer. I currently have a PC that is 4x65 watts.

1) Is this normal?

2) If I had better light, ie MH say 2x150 with 2x54 T5's would it turn back to that lovely translucent green?

Any advise and experiences would be greatly apreicated.

Will

Beverly
01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
What size is your tank and how big across is your BTA?

More lighting would be good, but I don't know if it will change colour. I think colour of the BTA is often dependent on the colour of the lighting over the tank.

Also, depending on the size of the BTA, I think you may be feeding it too often. I feed our RBTA and GBTA small portions of finely chopped scallop only once a week. I can post a BTA feeding video if you want.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I think you are feeding too frequently too. Once or twice a week max is usually what I do with my anemones, sometimes less frequently even.

BTA, as with most anemones, prefer bright light (such as from MH). They can be kept under PCs, but the darkening might be due to the lower light level, compared to what it was used to before.

JMO & JME,

Anthony

Chaotic Cricket
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I purchased a GBTA about two months ago. When I purchased her she was a beautiful translucent green. As time goes on she seems to be becoming a darker green. I feed her once very two to three days chunks of fresh shrimp from the local grocer. I currently have a PC that is 4x65 watts.

1) Is this normal?

2) If I had better light, ie MH say 2x150 with 2x54 T5's would it turn back to that lovely translucent green?

Any advise and experiences would be greatly apreicated.

Will

What is the depth of your tank? I have a few GBTA in my tank (two little ones that split from the big one) The little ones never colored up like the big guy. I would say though just from what i've read that its 50/50 on keeping it healthy with PC's, although anenomes have to be one of the most fickle things we can keep in our tanks (which is why i gave up on my carpet anenomes, beautiful but to much work to care for it specifically, though i will try again one day) I have also noticed at least from my anenomes (the big one is now 4 ears old going on five) that PH swings, Salinity swings, and lack of trace elements all effected its color. I would hold off on dosing if you don't though untl you read up on it and can test for what you dose with. Usually salt will give you what replacements you need, but not always. If i can find where i put my anemone links I will post them for you. BTW I have had my mother anenome under PC's,T5's, MH (10k, 14k, 20k - 150watt, 250 watt, 400 watt, and a brief and ill-advised try with a friends 1000watt setup..) I got nice color with the 400's and 250's, the 150's are where i settled due to oter things i wanted in the tank, and getting out of sps corals. With the 150's (with a bit of t5 actinic add-on) the big fella seems to be doing quite well, the little ones not so colorful.

craignlisa
01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
If it was translucent green then it was bleached when you bought it. The deeper green is it's zooenthelle coming back which is a good thing for it but maybe not you:) Although that does mean you are doing something right:)I feed my healthy anemones twice a week. They have gotten alot bigger but are great colours and mine are under 12 39 watt high output t5's. The last lta i got was a very translucent pink colour and within a month of good feeding it is now a deep burgandy colour like the other one.

Chaotic Cricket
01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes i forgot to put that in my message, the fact he is getting darker is good, I cannot beleive i was that long-winded without really being to helpful. My apologies.

ed99
01-06-2007, 02:24 AM
I would also guess your anemone is getting healthier. I had a BTA under PC lights and he was getting lighter over time (he had come from a tank with metal halides). I don't know if the level of light was too low for him though as I sold him when I moved.