PDA

View Full Version : Uh... worm? Good... bad?

andsoitgoes
01-05-2007, 03:24 AM
:redface: Okay - I don't have a pic yet, but I will take one after my girls pass out for the night...

I have these worms in the sandbed of my 44g cube. The only thing visible of the worms is what looks like red "strings"

I've taken one out, as it was right in the front, and it seems to look more akin to the feather duster than what bristleworms look like - I know a pic would help, but I figured the "tentacle things above the sand wiggling regularly, but the worm itself never coming out" would probably be of some use :redface:

Joe Reefer
01-05-2007, 03:31 AM
Sounds like spaghetti worms, as far as I know they're good guys.

untamed
01-05-2007, 03:36 AM
Yes...spaghetti worms. Definitely good. If you watch really, really closely you'll see them transporting small detritus along the tentacles toward the centre.

Every now and then, they'll shoot their waste into the water like a little jet. It just takes a split second. If you aren't looking directly at that spot when it happens you'll miss it.

If you've got too many, I would love to get some from you. I lost mine about a year ago when I had a cyano explosion.

andsoitgoes
01-05-2007, 04:07 AM
oh crap - I hope I didn't hurt this one pulling it from the water! Ugh - well, back in he goes.

I don't have many, yet - but I have 2 in a spot where only 1 was a week or so ago, if I get too many, you'll be sure to know :)

With that said, I've seen a few other "tentacles" hanging out poking their heads out behind things like mushrooms, some seem a lighter colour, and I doubt I'll be able to get a good pic of them, but I'm assuming I have as little to worry about with them as well?

andresont
01-05-2007, 04:42 AM
:redface: Okay - I don't have a pic yet, but I will take one after my girls pass out for the night...

I have these worms in the sandbed of my 44g cube. The only thing visible of the worms is what looks like red "strings"

I've taken one out, as it was right in the front, and it seems to look more akin to the feather duster than what bristleworms look like - I know a pic would help, but I figured the "tentacle things above the sand wiggling regularly, but the worm itself never coming out" would probably be of some use :redface:

I say all worms are good !

Joe Reefer
01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
You haven't seen the worm Steve Weast found in his tank then.

andresont
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
You haven't seen the worm Steve Weast found in his tank then.
Give them all to me !

DanG
01-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Give them all to me !

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

RNC-CPL
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
they are what i have always know to be as "spaghetti worms" i have had them in my sand ever since i have had a salt water tank, they are harmless and i believe they are good for your sand. They wont do any harm, and mine have been known to go up the side of the tank every now and then... so its all good :biggrin:

BC564
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
OMG....that is one huge worm.....I have never seen anything like that..ever.

oilfieldsafety
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
They are good in a lot of respects but can cause you issues with Zoos etc. Their constantly roving tentacles are an irritant.

RNC-CPL
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I think i am replying to the right spot? i have seen a worm like that but was NOT that big, i think someone called it a "Peanut worm" maybe someone has heard of these? the one we found while taking a tank apart was close to being 5ft long. It was horrible ewwwwwwwwwwwww.... :lol:

G1GY
01-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I think i am replying to the right spot? i have seen a worm like that but was NOT that big, i think someone called it a "Peanut worm" maybe someone has heard of these? the one we found while taking a tank apart was close to being 5ft long. It was horrible ewwwwwwwwwwwww.... :lol:

Peanut worms live in the rock. I don't think you'd ever find one that large.

Must have been some other type of worm that you seen.

untamed
01-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Steve Weast's worm was some species of Eunicid. I have a number of them. I don't think any of mine are that big, but I have one that could be several feet long. (I've never seen all of him at once)

There are some things that don't live in my tank. Xenia, for example. I think he eats it. Frogspawn also. SPS are no problem.

andresont
01-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I am sure there are creaters out there who think the same about people...
All we do is create waste, multiply, and kill, just like a virus ! eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww