PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Corals

TRIX
01-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Will a Anemone and mushrooms fight if there placed too close together. How far appart should coral be placed.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I doubt it would be much of a "fight". The problem is that anemones move around.

TRIX
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess I should rephrase that. Would a LTA attack mushrooms or sting them if they were in it's way. Or would it just move around them.

Beverly
01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
The LTA would probably sting the mushrooms. Place the LTA high in the tank so it gets lots of light and the mushrooms lower down which don't need as much light.

I've never had an LTA, so I don't know what flow requirements are for these anemones. Make sure you don't have direct flow right on the LTA, and maybe make the flow moderate. Hopefully an LTA owner will chime in here.

andsoitgoes
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd like to jump in on this as well, I'm trying to make a decision on how to place my LTA - right now one is in a fairly high flow on my skimmer output, and it seems happy - but I don't know if that's a long term solution - I may need to divert the outflow a bit so it's not bang on.

Hope to hear more :)

RicePaddy
01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I always thought that Anenome's go where they want.

Will

andsoitgoes
01-04-2007, 09:03 PM
to an extent - from my understanding - and that can be an even further problem, unfortunately, if you have a smaller tank like I do, if you put them anywhere near another coral they could damage and they DO walk, yikes.

I don't know how deep the survival instinct goes in these guys, mine have moved slightly in the last 2 weeks, but how unhappy or at risk do they have to be in order to move further?

BC564
01-04-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah....my anemone moves around in the tank...I actually moved a rock once because I thought he was looking quite ill.....well....he just moved back under where he was before and I basically wasted my time....

BC564
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
he moved about 10 inches total in about 2 hours....give or take

BC564
01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
anyways....he doesnt seem to interested in anything in the tank....except when i feed him...he doesnt like the cleaner shrimp picking food out of him as he is trying to close up....is quite the thing to watch

BC564
01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry....I got a bit off topic....Id leave the anemone some room to move because it is going to move to the lighting it wants...it hasnt hurt any of my corals I have in the tank and moves around things....

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
The folks at WetWebMedia seems to be fairly insistent that it's generally not a good idea to mix any motile anemone with other sessile stinging cnidarians (coral). Most will kill or be killed in the long run.

Of course, all kinds of people have experience to support the opposite. Just a thought!

BC564
01-04-2007, 10:16 PM
yes I do agree....I got this anemone as a hitchhiker on some live rock....He has been in my tank for about 3 months now and all has been fine so far. Granted he is only about the size of a silver dollar.

andsoitgoes
01-04-2007, 10:24 PM
The folks at WetWebMedia seems to be fairly insistent that it's generally not a good idea to mix any motile anemone with other sessile stinging cnidarians (coral). Most will kill or be killed in the long run.

Of course, all kinds of people have experience to support the opposite. Just a thought!

heh - the folks at WetWebMedia also seem to be insistent on basically telling anyone who writes in that they are an inferior human and should be urinated on by staff members until the give up and turn to raising crickets in a greenhouse...

that's just my opinion on their letters though, I might be wrong :mrgreen:

BC564
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
but I'm sure its worded in the nicest possible way....

andsoitgoes
01-04-2007, 10:28 PM
but I'm sure its worded in the nicest possible way....

i saw a few examples I'd like to use, can't find them now - but no, not at all :)

oh - here's one that's really gentle and supporting of nano tanks:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/small.htm

</sarcasm>

They DO have good advice, I'm not saying anything bad about that - but I think they're a little hard on most people - I'll continue reading their stuff and heeding a lot of what they give, but... yeah.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
andsoitgoes...hah! very true. they're very knowledgeable, but also seem to be insulting and belittling at times.

Beverly
01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Here's a pic I just took of our 120g. An RBTA and a GBTA are on the left side with no corals beside them. Lower down are zoos, palys, shrooms. The right side is reserved for mainly lps and sps corals, with some zoos and shrooms on the bottom rocks.

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/120gal-jan-04-07-1.jpg