PDA

View Full Version : my new mantis is a wussy!!

CLINT
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I got a G.SMITHI from king ed last week and so far he doesnt seem to want to kill anything.I bought small hermits cause hes not to big,but the only thing he eats so far is mysis.Is this ok for his diet or should I try something else.CLINT

Chowder
01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
It should be ok if he only eats mysis. It will also be alot cheaper then buying all those snails and hermits.

marie
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Try bits of raw fish, mussels and shrimp that you can buy at the grocery store.

CLINT
01-05-2007, 03:29 AM
thanks for that.I think my mantis(the wife named him Hanibal) is in for a pretty big surprise cause 1 of the smaller hermits walked in front of his hole and at the same time he came out.well he hid so fast that Hanibal never saw him just this nice little shell that he could use for decoration in his hole.:smile: dont think hes left much room in there for a roommate so maybe this is his time to shine.CLINT

Flusher
01-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Keep snails and crabs in the tank with the mantis as often as possible. Sometimes it takes awhile before the mantis kills anything, but if there's nothing for it to punch at, it might lose it's punching claws ("dactyls"). They take awhile to regrow.
________
Infants Zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

i have crabs
01-05-2007, 02:59 PM
krill would be better than misis i would think.

JOSH
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
yeah my new mantis is the same way, no kills but ive only had him for three days, he does pickup my hermits and carries them around

CLINT
01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Well I dont see the hermit today so its dead or still hiding in there.Ill pick up some krill see if hes interested.CLINT

untamed
01-06-2007, 01:01 AM
If you've been feeding him very regularly, he may not be hungry. Mine disappears for days at a time. Sounds normal.

justinl
01-06-2007, 06:38 AM
pictures pictures!

I would feed him a mix of stuff. mostly frozen silversides, frozend shrimp, and less regularly various snails or hermits. if you have easy access to beaches, you could add some shore crabs to the list.

CLINT
01-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for that now I have an excuse to got to the beach this summer.lol Im going to try to get some pics today.Hanibal hasnt spent much time away from his hole.lots of renovations still going on in there.CLINT