PDA

View Full Version : LPS ID Please

fishspun
01-04-2007, 03:47 AM
I've looked all over the internet trying to find out the scientific or common name of this coral but have failed thus far. I'm hoping someone here can lend me assistance in positively identifying this coral.

From observing this thing, it seems to be a LPS branching coral with branches of soft tissue with small bubbles on the soft tissue. It has a hue of green to it and more intense under actinic if that matters. Thanks in advance!

Link to Picture (http://www.telusplanet.net/~karmira/fish/December%20Saltwater%20Fish%20060.jpg) of coral.

Scavenger
01-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Pretty sure your looking at frogspawn there. One of my favorite LPS.

fishspun
01-04-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks, that was my guess too, though I've always imagined frogspawn to look green with a little purple. I just couldn't find a matching visual picture to confirm the ID of this particular one.

WWWD
01-04-2007, 04:07 AM
It's an Octo Frogspawn. A little more unusual that a normal one, it's colours look a little washed out though, have you had it long?

fishspun
01-04-2007, 04:39 AM
I've had this one for about two weeks. It definately caught my eye at the lfs. I hope the colours can return over time if it has faded. It is sitting near the top at the moment.

Kabong
01-04-2007, 01:26 PM
My hammer (same family) started to bleach when I moved it to the top of the tank.
Once it was back at the bottom it colored up again.
It was only under 182w of pc, so at the top may not be the best.
You could try moving it down in the tank and see if that helps it color up.