PDA

View Full Version : who's short on space for their tanks and found good solutions?

kwirky
01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm curious to see who out there has very little space allowed for their tank/s and the various paraphenalia associated with the hobby, and has found good solutions to deal with it? Call it "limited space for fish tanks 101". I'm hoping we'll see some innovative solutions, and some humerous ones as well :D

My 33 gallon cichlid tank is on a stand which holds another 33 gallon of the exact same dimensions which I use as a mixing tank for water changes (for the 120g), and for the occasional quarantine. I just keep a new batch of saltwater constantly mixing in it for when it's needed. Doesn't take any extra foot print.

As for stashing, I've hammered various boards spanning between the ceiling joists in the basement to stash stuff in the basement ceiling. And the furnace room is a great place to hide more aquarium stuff from mother ;)

danny zubot
01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Because my tank required more space it was bannished to the basement. It really sucked at first but now I find that I have much more room to tinker and try new DYI contraptions. My wife is happier now that she has more cupboard space becasue thats where I used to store all of my various aquarium supplies.:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I used to have a fish room but now most of my fish stuff is banished out to a new shed (12' by 8' by 8') that I built this fall. I also sold off a whole bunch of tanks, stands & equipment that took up too much room anyways. Nothing to innovative I guess, but part 2 did help pay for the 220g upgrade:biggrin:

Anthony

danny zubot
01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Shed? I have to see pics of this!:mrgreen:

andsoitgoes
01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
LOL - It's not THAT impressive... well, the stuff IN it is, that's for sure ;)

Joe Reefer
01-03-2007, 08:44 PM
As for stashing, I've hammered various boards spanning between the ceiling joists in the basement to stash stuff in the basement ceiling. And the furnace room is a great place to hide more aquarium stuff from mother ;)

Having your own place makes hiding stuff from your mom way easier. :mrgreen:

andsoitgoes
01-03-2007, 08:47 PM

Y'know - I re-read this and my first thought was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bates

Your name isn't Norman, is it? Your mom IS still alive, right?? ;)

Beverly
01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
We reduced three tanks down to one. Have a lot more space now and enjoy the free time not doing maintenance on the two tanks that are gone.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Yup, condensing a whole fish room into 1 big reef tank sure freed up space:biggrin:

Danny, the shed is probably in the picture gallery/forum somewhere.