PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering....

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
...what might the average income of a saltwater aquarist be?

I don't know how people keep up with it, financially! I'm not sure if I can. :redface:

Edit: Working in the child welfare system doesn't pay well, but it has its other rewards! I'm not complaining here, just wondering how people get....."creative".....to fund their systems.

Kryten
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, buying used equipment helps a lot, as does trading or buying frags from group meets. I don't think too many people are going to tell you exactly how much they earn, or that they use a grow-op to finance their reefs... :lol:

Maybe start a poll and then people can vote - I think it's anonymous that way.

Neil
01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
i like to challenge myself when i build stands to make them the sturdiest and nicest while still being really cheap. (and by cheap i mean less than $200 for an oak cabinet + canopy with trim and all) As far as equipment, pick up a setup for dirt cheap out of the bargain finder or used calgary and then start the trading game- from paper clip to house sort of deal. I have done that a few times, get the right deal it works nicely.

danny zubot
01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not going to tell you what I make, but for the past 5 years I've kept every reciept for hobby related purchases. Off the top of my head the most expensive year cost me around $1800.00, but on average between $800 to $1000 is what I'd spend.

Anyone else keep track?

Beverly
01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, we keep track on our home accounting software, but I'm NEVER going to ask my husband how much we've spent over nine years of reefing :razz:

danny zubot
01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm not worried about the expenses that much. I know people who spend just as much, if not more on their dogs and cats every year. After getting shots, and premium foods, dog bed etc. its works out to the same I think.

niloc16
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
i've found this hobby to be very cheap to run. :wink: i would hate to know what i 'should' make compared to how much i spend on my system. never, never, never add up the receipts. i just keep them for insurance purposes.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Oh! I wasn't asking for anyone's income! My bad if it came across that way. Yikes :redface:

I was just wondering if this hobby fell into a certain socio-economic level, etc.

As well, I guess my main question was the creative ways people get around the cost of it all. Maybe I shouldn't have asked the main question in the "edit" section of my post :mrgreen:

BMW Rider
01-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Well, I just looked it up in my accounting software and since setting up my first reef tank three years ago I've spent about $20K :eek: :mad:

Of course I'm addicted to expensive toys and upgrades.

Glennrf38
01-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Definately cheaper than having your 3 kids in hockey or a golf membership for 2.

adidas
01-04-2007, 03:47 AM
i've spent about $5000 since Nov. can't stop...help..

untamed
01-04-2007, 05:23 AM
It can be done inexpensively if one wants to do it that way. There's also no upper limit to how much can be spent if you want to do it that way.

You tend to spend what you can afford to spend.

EmilyB
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
What I have spent is way to much.....

http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/verwirrt/3.gif

danny zubot
01-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that I've made a bit of money off the tank in the past year. Maybe $400 in frags, which has helped.

draco
01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
It dosent cost that much to maintain it costs to upgrade.My wife and I started with a 55 gal. But now we have up gradeed to a 90 gal with sump the up grade cost us about $4000 and we aren't done yet. But we felt it was time to get the best of what we can . In the long run its earer to buy the best now.Because everytime you up grade you usally take a loss.

RicePaddy
01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
You know the saying "The more you make, the more you spend". This also applies to salt water. Instead of DIY projects you just buy all new. And when something does not work the way you want it you go buy another one. Its the crystal meth of hobbies. I am even thinking of growing and fraging my own coarls to make extra money on the side. Oh, anyone want to be my mule??

Will

BC564
01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm surprised there isnt more of the fragging and trading of frags being done. I'd be up for some frag swaps....seem to be few and far between

danny zubot
01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
We do have them here from time to time but they are a bit of a hassle to coordinate. Are you offering to host the next one?:biggrin:

MDG3
01-05-2007, 12:33 AM
In 1.5 years since I started I've spent $1500.00 and that was "NOT" including a used free tank, stand, DIY canopy, live rock, sand/crushed coral substrate, 2 clownfish and 1 flame hawkfish.

If you get used like some have said, It helps a little.:neutral: :wink:

Snappy
01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, I just looked it up in my accounting software and since setting up my first reef tank three years ago I've spent about $20K :eek: :mad:

Of course I'm addicted to expensive toys and upgrades.

I have spent at least that as well, but I don't smoke or drink or do drugs so my money has to go somewhere. I can't really afford it but I also can't afford not to do it. I find this hobby extremely rewarding, (and at times extremely frustrating) so it is hard to attach a price-tag to both the enjoyment and mood swings it creates. When it's going well I love it and when it's going bad, I hate it, but I still love it.
If I could start over with the knowledge I have gained it would cost a lot less. The school of "hard knocks" has an expensive tuition.:wink:
I found out that spending the extra and doing it right the first time costs far less than cutting corners trying to save a buck or two, and then eventually having to fix it to make it right anyway.

Canadbis
01-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Well I dont make a ton of money, and I have three Kids and a whack of other creatures. But hey you have to have a hobby
My boss spent more on golf in the summer
a friend bought a bike worth more than what I have spent
I make sure the family has everything we need then ALL the rest goes into the addict....err...ummm.....Hobby, yeah hobby thats right
Everyone has a hobby and most are expensive, Heck I have a few hobbies but fish is the expensive one :)

Der_Iron_Chef
01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah...I don't have kids, so I should quit complaining about costs :wink:

And I quit smoking, so....now I can spend the money on the aquarium instead of filling my body with toxins!

Oh, and I hate golf. *shudder*