PDA

View Full Version : 400W 14K coralvue vs 250 14K Phoenix

Skimmerking
01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
So is there much of a difference in the lighting that i have switched over I went from dual 400 14K coralvue to 250 HQI 14K Phoenix. I took the advice of Ben Little silver max and covered the tank with window screen to break them in. But 400 to 250's I know the 14K coralvue is darker then the 14 K phoenix but would it make a huge differnce in the corals...

Mike

Chaotic Cricket
01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
If you went from 400 watts to 250 the intensity would be less, not more. Even with the kelvin change. I have also never noticed 12k phoenix only 14k, I've seen reeflux 12ks though, but no phoenix.

muck
01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I wasn't aware that Phoenix made anything other than 14k bulbs. Are you sure they are 12K Mike?

Skimmerking
01-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Sorry they are 14K ooppps my bad so would it matter if I had the corals full light or what ..

I know that the phoenix bulbs are alot whiter and brighter compared to my 14K and they are the same Kelvin rating too.. wont that burn the corals even if its whiter

Chaotic Cricket
01-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Sorry they are 14K ooppps my bad so would it matter if I had the corals full light or what ..

I know that the phoenix bulbs are alot whiter and brighter compared to my 14K and they are the same Kelvin rating too.. wont that burn the corals even if its whiter

If the phoenix bulbs are new then they are probably still "breaking in" My Hamilton's seemed to have a pinkish (almost) tinge when they were new, two weeks later they settled down. My phoenix bulbs were quite white for the first 3 weeks, after that the blue seemed to be there a little more. Look into 400 watt halide then a 250, there is a reason 400's are used for greater depth. So no it would not hurt for full light. All corals need time to respond, and they will have to get use to less intensity just as they would more intensity. Even new bulbs by the same manufacturer have effect corals (mostly sps). I did hear quite a few good things about aquaconnect bulbs but as i said somewhere else the availability and price are a concern for me, plus they likened them to phoenix bulbs, while I do like my phoenix bulbs, I prefer my Hamilton's (14k)

Skimmerking
01-03-2007, 03:26 AM
The bulbs are 2.5 months old I traded another reefer for my other lights. so they are broke in IMO. just doulbe checking..

Doug
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I think there are to many variables to just say one,s a 400 and the other,s a 250, so its fine. The 14k 400,s are not the brightest, although a nice bulb. If they were something like Ushio 10K,s then I would say no problem.

You also had then a decent height, as are the 250,s but covering a 5 ft. by 27in. span.

The new bulbs are HQI, which I have never used, but always thought were at least the equivilent par of higher K 400,s. Second, they are only covering a 3ft. by 18in. space, a lot less, meaning your corals are getting a lot more light.

Also, your sps have been in minimum light for several day,s so that should be taken into account.

Its possible with the height your running the 250,s that you may be fine, however I would still error on the safe side. Having never used the screen thingy though, I cant say how much or for how long. Would not think as much as getting new, low K bulbs or going up in wattage. Like I mentioned, perhaps the height alone is enough, but Ben swears by the screen method.

Farrmanchu
01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
You can ditch the screen, and go with a short photoperiod (2 hrs), increasing the time daily. Or, you can move the lights up, and lower them slowly day by day. The screen method does the same thing, It's just "old school".