PDA

View Full Version : Workhorse Ballasts

REEF_GUY
11-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi,

I live in Vancouver and was wondering where I could purchase workhorse ballasts. I was also wondering how to wire it to run 2x36" VHO.

Thanks

reefburnaby
11-01-2002, 11:25 PM
http://www.fulham.com/dealerontario.html

StirCrazy
11-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I was also wondering how to wire it to run 2x36" VHO.

Thanks

I recomend that you runn them in Series, that way you will get the full brightness out of the VHO. if you wire them with two wires each it is like using a HO ballast instead of a VHO, But having said that... if you want longer bulb life and don't mind them being not as bright then wiring them with two wires to each bulb is the way to go..

Steve

Just2Bad
11-02-2002, 03:14 AM
How much they cost ?? (WH7)

StirCrazy
11-02-2002, 04:47 AM
I picked mine up for 68.00, but others have been getting them for 56.00

Steve

Old Guy
11-02-2002, 09:06 PM
I got my wh7 at Albrite in PoCo( just off the Mary Hill bybass). I am running 2 36" VHO actinics with 2 wires going to each bulb and am quite happy with this setup. It is very bright and see no reason to shorten bulb life.

StirCrazy
11-02-2002, 11:36 PM
I guess befor people get the wrong Idea I better mention this.. this is a electronic ballast not a tar (people are probably going "Duhhh tell us something I don't know now") I say this because that just by virtue of switching to a electronic ballast from a tar ballast your bulb life will be lengthened..

so when people say VHO bulbs only last 6 months on a TAR ballast on a WH (or other quality electronic ballast, they could last 1 year or more.

I have been testing the light output of T8 24" hagen power glows over the l;ast two years and they have only lost 15% of there intensity in 2 years.. I atribute this to useing a electronic ballast. the bonus was that I also got 10% more light by switching to the electronic ballast over the tar one.. so if you realy read into this on a set of two year old bulbs I am only getting 5% lower output that a brand new set on a tar ballast.

now will the VHO last to this extream? I am not sure but I have been doing measurments on my two bulbs and I am going to plot them untill they need to be changed..

Steve