PDA

View Full Version : Need to get new pump

andestang
11-01-2002, 04:51 PM
I need to buy a pump - any advise ? Looking at a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC and a Mag-Drive 12. Tank is a 150g and going to be using a sump and possible refuge combo. A good source to buy one? MOPS seems reasonable.
ande

Bob I
11-01-2002, 05:10 PM
I would not hesitate to buy from MOPS. I have had good experiences. :D :D :D

rossb
11-01-2002, 08:09 PM
If a supreme magdrive pump is in your future you can get it very reasonably at bumper crop. It is a hydroponic store on edmonton trail and about 32nd. I have had one for 3 season and have had zero problems. The mag 12 also has 1125 gph at 5' (it is a great pump)

Delphinus
11-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I second the recommendation for Bumper Crop. They also carry (and keep in stock) some things for Mag drives that a typical LFS might have to special order. For example, replacement impellers and replacement impeller housings. At the beginning of the year, one of my Mag 7's that is about 7 years old had its plastic cup that holds the impeller in place snap off. $10 or $15 later, a new impeller housing, and it's like having a new pump again. I love Mag drives! Awesome little workhorses. Pisces was going to take 2 or 3 weeks to order a replacement in, but Bumper Crop had it in stock.

I'm not sure that Bumper Crop's price on new pumps is better than MO, so, it does pay to shop around a bit. They're definitely in the ballpark but anytime you have retail it's going to be hard to compete with MO because of the necessary overhead and stuff. But basically for miscellaneous bits and stuff like that, definitely worth a visit there once in a while. I once got these little 1/4" bulkheads there (for some kind of irrigation drip system). But awesome stuff, I just drilled a hole for my topoff and don't have to worry about sealant or tapping or anything like that.

reefburnaby
11-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Hi,

Little Giant or the Mag may be suited for certain applications. For closed loop, low head applications or submerged applications, then the Mag is the one. For high head applications or inline external pump, then a Mak4 or a Little Giant is probably better. In terms of noise, the Mag and Mak4 are better and similar...with the Mak4 being a little bit better -- especially for non-submerged applications.

- Victor.

andestang
11-02-2002, 12:22 AM
I've come across those terms "high and low head" while lookng at pumps but not really certain what that means :oops: . Also max pump height - figuring out true gph.

reefburnaby
11-02-2002, 02:49 AM
Pumps usually push water from a lower elevation to a higher elevation -- the difference between the two elevations is known as head. The pump must counter losses that occur at elbows and pipeing. Each 90 degree elbow accounts for approximately 1 foot of head. So, if you wanted to pump water from the sump to the top of your 2 feet tank on a 3 feet stand (i.e. total height of 5 feet), then you'll need about 7 to 8 feet of head. The extra 2 or 3 feet of head comes from the elbows and piping.

At 8 feet, the Mag 12 would only pump 700 gph and a Mag 18 would only pump 1000 gph. On the otherhand, the Mak4 would pump ~1000 gph and the 4mdqx pumps around 1000 gph.

To make things worse, suppose your sump is in the basement. So that would add about 9 feet of head for a total of 17 feet. Mag 12 and Little giant would have .... 0 gph. The Mak4 would pump around 400 to 500 gph. The mak4 would die around 22 feet.

http://www.yourpondstore.com/supreme_pondmaster_pond1.htm

Closed loop systems have very low head (only need to work against piping loss), so Mags work pretty good and they have a pretty good track record (unlike Rio). In most situations, the Mag is a good pump. However, if you have extra money to spend and you want a pump that will last a very long time...then a Mak4 would be my choice.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

FishGeek
11-02-2002, 04:30 AM
Check out Revy! They price match anybody and beat by 10% Give it a try! I find if you complain a little, you get your way!

Simon

andestang
11-02-2002, 05:00 AM
thanks everyone thats a big help :D now to start shopping !

Canadian Man
11-02-2002, 05:53 AM
Victor,
I gotta disagree with the little giant in the basement setup.
I have a 4mdqxsc Plumbed into my basement sump and I guesstamate that I get aprox 600gph at the output.

by the RC head calculator I have 17f of head and that pump(LG) is supposed to shut off at 17f, but I still get alot of flow.

So I don't know. Just a tidbit to confuse ya some more.

andestang
11-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Johnathan, do you find your LG noisey ? That was my first choice for a pump, but now - ?. I'm worried if my tank it put someplace else and the sump has to be under the tank the noise will be too much.I still would also like to see your sump someday.

Canadian Man
11-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Anderstang
Well my LG is in the basement so I really cant comment. I can hear it but it runs Extremely cool and the water comming from the tank above makes more noise than the pump.

I actually may create a project for myself today and may plumb my extra 4mdqsc on a closed loop but that would have to be on the main floor with my tank under the stand so I dont know.

If your availiable today I am going to be home most of the day so if you want to pop by let me know.

Send me an email or give me a call 235-6467

AJ_77
11-02-2002, 05:40 PM
When there was a LG 4mdqxsc in the stand in my living room, it gave people headaches from the noise. Normal conversation was difficult unless you were sitting next to the person. It was madness, and I switched to the Quiet One. Ahhhhhhh... bliss.

The LG 4s are noisy as advertised. I found many threads regarding this problem and found various suggestions around it. Jonathan's is best - put it in the basement. :D

Aj

reefburnaby
11-02-2002, 06:04 PM
Jonathan,

Are you sure you have the 4mdqx version and not the 4mdq ? They are slightly different and one of them (4mdq) would be more appropriate for your application (pressure rated). Either that...or they improved them over the years.

andestang,

If you plan to buy the LG, just remember to oil the bearings once in a while. They will ensure that the LG will run for a very long time.
Its a solid pump, but its just a little noisy for my cup of tea.

- Victor.

Canadian Man
11-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Victor,
I dont have the Pressure rated one.
It is the 4mdqx not the 4mdq one.
I was quite worried when I did the basement sump thing.
I was sure the pump would not be able to push the water that height but there is no problems.

I should also mention that these pumps are older LG's

Canadian Man
11-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Update:

Well I have the 4mdqx-sc plumbed and started this morning.
Silent( i have it on a 2" piece of Dense foam)!
Works Awsome!

LG All the Way!

andestang
11-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Ok, now your making it tough for me ! :) I'm bouncing all over the place. First LG, the mag 12, then back and then hear about the Mak4,Ampmaster ....Decissions, decissions ! :roll:
ande

reefburnaby
11-03-2002, 09:01 PM
andestang,

How are you planning to use this pump ? This would help determine if the extra money/power is waranted.

- Victor.

andestang
11-04-2002, 02:03 AM
going to use it mostly for a return and maybe a skimmer. I'll make a closed circuit set-up later.I hope to put sump in room behind tank if tank looks ok If that works out thats also the tv room. (thats the noise concern)
ande

Dez
11-04-2002, 03:23 PM
I do happen to have a Mag 18 (used one) for sale if needed. E-mail me if you decide to go with the Mag Drive. Good luck,

des