PDA

View Full Version : Computer assistance please

TANGOMAN
11-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi, it's me again. The guy that corrects others spelling when he can't spell himself. Can someone tell me how I access my "profile" so I can add e-mail address etc... thanks! :oops:
Hey, did ya' see that ? I figured out how to add a silly face and use the "edit" button all by myself. Now if I can just learn how to find that finger Tony will often direct towards me...
...while I'm here, what is HTML & BBCode ? If I could figure out how to work this thing maybe NASA would take my job application more seriously ?

Bob I
11-01-2002, 04:09 PM
I would go to "forum tools" and click on "profile". The forum tools are in the sidebar on the right. :D :D

Delphinus
11-01-2002, 05:28 PM
HTML is "hyper text markup language" -- it is basically the code in which the webpages we all see are written. Your browser (netscape, IE, etc.) reads this code and then produces a viewable page.

BBcode will be similar to HTML, but it would be the proprietary code that the software this board understands. It would be presumably "Bulletin Board Code." Think of it as shortcut ... because unless you're a webpage designer, HTML is somewhat rather obscure stuff to read (if your browser has a "view source" option somewhere ... try it out sometime, you'll see what I mean). Heck, I'm a programmer, and I don't touch HTML (I can make very "spartan" looking pages .... if you want something to look nice, I am not your guy. :) )

To use a, I guess I'll call it a "third party smiley", ie., a smiley that is not listed on the left hand side (under "emoticons"), then you would find the image somewhere on the web, it will have an URL ... er, "web page address" for that image (URL = Universal Resource Locator" ... um, I think. It can't be techie unless we assign an absurd sounding name and a three-letter-acronym [TLA] to it. But shhh! Don't tell anyone I told you the secret! I'll be kicked out of the "techie secret society" ;) ). You then link to that smiley the same as you would like to any image. I.e.,

[ img ] ( insert some image URL here ) [ /img]

That (minus the spaces in the square brackets, I had to insert those to show the text), is the "BBcode" for inserting an image, which could be a picture, or a smiley, or ... well, anything that would be considered an "image" of some kind.

You could also just use the "Img" button at the top of the text editor for your message.

Now .... I have been told on several occasions that my explanations tend to make no sense. So, let me apologize now, for not making any sense.... I hope that this info is useful, but I do extend the invitation for anyone to try to explain these things in simpler terms.

Good luck!

Bob I
11-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Actually I understand it, but then I hard code web pages in HTML. As to Avatars, some people don't like it if you link to their pages, so sometimes it is better to download the Avatar, and put it on the server you use to access the Internet. Right now Alan is hosting my Avatar. Does that make any sense. :?:

TANGOMAN
11-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the guidance Bob, that went well... :wink: and thanks Tony for directing me to the right person to get my mess cleaned up ! I did forget one thing Tony in my original e-mail to you. My manners ! Ooops, sorry. A please/thanks should have been included. I take nothing in life for granted, especially assistance ! Now I'm really confused !!! "don't ask a question if you're not prepared for the answer...?" I need a book on terminology. I could put it beside the dictionary that needs to be used more...