PDA

View Full Version : Lunar wrasse experience?

Dresden
11-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Anyone ever had any luck having a reef tank /w lunar wrasse. Would rather not lose him when going to the new tank. Anyone have any suggestions or alternatives? Are there any safe coral types? My current 2-4" crushed coral bed has allowed one of my original 3 hermit crabs purchused 16 months ago to continue to clean. Unsure if my wrasse doesn't eat them, or just cant find him from all the shells. Would rather not have FOWLR.

very fond of my wrasse

Dresden
11-01-2002, 09:13 AM
nevermind
tank will be started as a FOWLR then after all's clear then i'll switch to the reef. Got a Niger Trigger also, and both himand the wrasse would both have to go

MitchM
11-01-2002, 11:31 AM
The Niger Trigger is reef safe, BTW.

Mitch

Dresden
11-01-2002, 11:44 AM
woo happy to her thanx

Aquattro
11-01-2002, 02:01 PM
The Niger Trigger is reef safe, BTW.

Mitch

Reefsafe meaning what? I had one in my reef and given the chance, will eat any crab or shrimp. It also picked at a gorgonian and eventually shreaded it. It will also eat any small fish it feels inclined to. Green chromis are favorites. They also like landscaping to suit what they like, with no regard to what YOU think the tank should look like.
If you have to have a trigger in your reef, a Niger is a better choice than a Queen, but don't expect to have no problems!!

MitchM
11-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Yeah you're right Brad - reefsafe IS a general term, isn't it? What I mean by reefsafe is that they will leave most corals alone (in my reef my 7"Niger causes few problems).
If someone IS considering having a Niger trigger, I highly suggest that they research it - as they should with ANY fish or coral.
I'm not just suggesting whether or not it will eat corals in a reef aquarium, but also whether or not it has a suitable personality for the other inhabitants, the size of the adult it will become and hear other peoples' experience with it.
I call that common sense though, and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt of having that until they prove me wrong...
The Niger gets to be around 18" fully grown so it should not be placed in an aquarium that won't accomodate that.

I hate generalizations myself, and here I went and made one.... :oops:

Thanks Brad!.... :P

Mitch :wink:

Aquattro
11-01-2002, 04:24 PM
no problem Mitch. Every time I go to the LFS they have these cute little Nigers (my favorite fish) and I come so close to buying one. Mine was donated to a fellow hobbyist with a large FO tank, and I really miss it. They are generally fine with snails and hermits until they are big enough to fit enough of them in their mouth to give it a good crunch. Mine also used to move corals around. He would grab the rock it was mounted to and carry it to the other side of the tank. If I put it back, he's move it again. Eventually you get sick of this and leave the decorating to them. He never bothered my SPS, but would nip my hammer coral fairly frequently. He also wouldn't learn that bristle worms would sting EVERY time he bit one. Other than some fairly predictable behaviours, if one is willing to accomodate the "bad things", they are great fish and again, fairly "reefsafe".

Dresden
11-01-2002, 09:58 PM
well i spent about 6 hours reading about niger Triggers and lunar wrasses. Wrasse obviously will need to go. Wondering if anyone has tried to train a trigger. Example when u see the trigger do something u dont like u puff up say a bathrobe(open it quickly) and show him u dont like what he's doing? Basicly showing him, "my tank i'm the biggest fish here". :lol:

EmilyB
11-01-2002, 11:49 PM
say a bathrobe(open it quickly) and show him

:shock: :lol:

Dresden
11-02-2002, 08:04 PM
think my intensionwere taken the wrong way :oops:

Think i will be switching to a FOWLR for the start(unsure of how long till i move) Then switch to reef. I was told its best to remove the lunar wrasse to to difficulties catching them once introduced. Anyone have any wrasse catching experience or any good homes i might be able to move him too?