PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of this?

whaase
12-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I've had this stuff now for quite awhile.. how do I get rid of it? It roots itself so hard to everything..

http://melevsreef.com/id/other/caulacanthus_ustulatus.jpg

Here is a description taken from http://melevsreef.com/id/algae.html

"Recently I was given this red macro algae, and was told it is Red Cheato(morpha). Since its growth isn't anything like Cheatomorpha, I contacted a few algae experts for help. What it actually is is Caulacanthus ustulatus, but what matters more is knowing that it is an invasive species that we do not want in our tanks. It breaks up very easily into tiny pieces, and takes root anywhere it lands. Fortunately for me, it didn't live long in my refugium. Not Reef-safe."

Chin_Lee
12-31-2006, 10:16 PM
that looks very much like gracillaria which is highly desired to be consumed by tangs. I wish mine grew like weed......

whaase
12-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Too bad my tank is too small for a tang :wink: Any other way to get rid of it?

Chin_Lee
01-01-2007, 12:43 AM
give them to local reefer who has tangs. what are your parameters that letting them thrive?

Renegade
01-01-2007, 01:56 AM
he doesen't have a tang that eats them before they have a chance to grow

lol
jk

Kyle

DanG
01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I've got something that looks similar in my tank, my little foxface has decimated it, all gone.

AndyL
01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
urchins do a number on macros too (I say this as I'm watching my new urchin decimate a big ball of chaeto

adidas
01-01-2007, 07:20 PM
i'll take some off your hands? i've got 3 hungry tangs and 2 rabbits... :)

GMGQ
01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
That picture from Melev's site looks like gracillaria, but what whaase describes does not sound like it.

Gracillaria is pretty much free floating and does not "root itself" hard to anything.

What he's describing sounds like that deep water, viny, red algae that grows over pumps and stuff like a weed. I have some of that too, and it really is hard to get rid of. The name escapes me...

whaase
01-02-2007, 01:06 AM
That picture from Melev's site looks like gracillaria, but what whaase describes does not sound like it.

Gracillaria is pretty much free floating and does not "root itself" hard to anything.

What he's describing sounds like that deep water, viny, red algae that grows over pumps and stuff like a weed. I have some of that too, and it really is hard to get rid of. The name escapes me...

What you are describing is exactly what it is.. I thought that was what I linked to, but I guess not...