View Full Version : New reactor

Aquattro
11-01-2002, 03:54 AM
Wet testing on the new Ca reactor

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/reactor.jpg

reefburnaby
11-01-2002, 05:25 AM
Hi,

Looks awesome...makes my DIY jobs look like fisher price. Say...is there going to be a second chamber to this reactor ? It might help reduce the pH fluctuations that you are currently seeing in your tank. It usually helps bring the pH of the effluent of the reactor from 6.5 - 6.8 to around 7.4 to 7.6. BTW, hows the pH problem going ?

- Victor.

Troy F
11-01-2002, 05:36 AM
Nice work Brad. Would look good on my tank.

StirCrazy
11-01-2002, 05:45 AM
Hmm is that a glue drip I see on the bottom? :shock: :wink:

Steve

Aquattro
11-01-2002, 05:47 AM
Victor, this is a really large chamber. I don't think the addition of a second chamber would be worth the effort. I traced most of my pH problems to a defective probe. My pH right now is 8.8, according to the meter. I can calibrate it and it reads fine for an hour, but then creeps one way or the other. Hopefully a larger reactor and a new probe will balance the pH at close to 8.0

Troy, thanks. Maybe one day you can have one just like it on your tank :wink:

Aquattro
11-01-2002, 05:49 AM
Hmm is that a glue drip I see on the bottom? :shock: :wink:

Steve

Not a one, and it held up perfectly to the wet test. As soon as I get a couple of check valves, itll be ready to go.

Skimmerking
11-02-2002, 08:30 PM
nice looking there brad .wanna get paid to make me one ..

Doug
11-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Very nice job Brad. :D

Aquattro
11-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Thanks Doug.

Mike, I'll reply to your email.

Bryan
07-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Question if you don't mind. How do you machine the inlet to the main tube from the mag pump. From the looks of it the pvc 1/2" fitting is glued somehow to the acrylic tube. Is it leak proof?

Wet testing on the new Ca reactor

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/reactor.jpg

Aquattro
07-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Bryan, I threaded and glues the fitting in place. The tube is only 1/8", so threading alone wouldn't be enough. My last reactor just got glued without threading the hole.

sumpfinfishe
07-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Great craftsmanship there Brad :cool:
So I guess you have been pretty busy building stuff, did you manage to have any parts leftover for a skimmer by chance :razz:
Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that I think one of your wingnuts is slightly off center by half a mil :mrgreen:

cheers, Rich

Bryan
07-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Bryan, I threaded and glues the fitting in place. The tube is only 1/8", so threading alone wouldn't be enough. My last reactor just got glued without threading the hole.

I am leery of trusting threads in material 1/8" thick even with glue. In my experience they can be prone to leaks if they get bumped around. I think I will build a "n" shaped box and mount the inlet from the bottm using a bulkhead fitting. takes some off the height but gives me piece of mind.

ldzielak
07-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Bryan,

What I did with my fitting is place sand paper on the out side of the acrylic, and shape a PVC fitting to match the out side diameter. Then did the same with another fitting and matched it to the inside diameter. Then with a short piece of PVC pipe, I sanwiched the acrylic between the 2 fittings. The hole through the acrylic was a tight fit this the PVC pipe through it. This gives me huge surface area and strength. Has not failled me yet, 1.5 years and counting.

Lee

Doug
07-15-2003, 09:21 PM
Brad, what size is that one. I am just firing up my new 6in. by 18in. model. I have a 4in. second stage I was thinking of using, but like you, I think its almost not needed. ? Mine holds about a jar and a half of ARM.

Aquattro
07-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Doug, mine is 6 x ~21, hold 1.75 jars of ARM. I see no reason to add a second chamber. My pH is fine (I also drip kalk) and CO2 is cheap here.

Bryan
07-15-2003, 10:08 PM
You mean grind the pvc fitting with the sandpaper to match the curve of the cylinder tube?

Bryan,

What I did with my fitting is place sand paper on the out side of the acrylic, and shape a PVC fitting to match the out side diameter. Then did the same with another fitting and matched it to the inside diameter. Then with a short piece of PVC pipe, I sanwiched the acrylic between the 2 fittings. The hole through the acrylic was a tight fit this the PVC pipe through it. This gives me huge surface area and strength. Has not failled me yet, 1.5 years and counting.

Lee

ldzielak
07-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Doug,

I have a 6" x 18" and a 4" x 18 second chamber. I checked my pH with my probe, I see no difference from the second stage.

Bryan,

Yes I ground 2 fittings for the inside and out side.

Lee

Doug
07-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Perhaps I will take the second stage out then. Never liked it there anyways. :biggrin: