PDA

View Full Version : Need an electronics wiz's advice

marcingo
12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Hello. I woke up today and noticed one of my 150 watt MH pendants wasnt on. So I proceeded to figure out what was going on. Basically this is what is happening. Systematically as the light and ballast cool down the ballast turns the light on up until the point that the light reaches full color, at this point the ballast shuts off the light. I have an electronic start ballast with a double ended HQI bulb. Any ideas what I could try to fix this problem? I realize my ballast has most likely crapped out but I would light to see if I can get it to work temporarily before a new one comes in. Thanks very much.

Tangman
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
You have already answered your own question. with an electronic ballast there is really nothing user friendly you can fix.
I realize my ballast has most likely crapped out .
Happy New Year !

marcingo
12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks.

X-Treme
12-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Almost sounds to me like the bulb might be on its way out...... That's how they act at my shop when they are going.

smellsfishy
12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
you can always check for cold solder joints on the board or even a hairline crack on the board, it may have been dropped and components heatup expand, which may be likely here. the larger components like coils, relays etc. can easily pull the pin through a thin layer of soldier with enough force or if they weren't glued to the board.
9 times out of 10 an electronic fault is caused or a result off a mechanicl or physical problem.
good luck use a magnifiieng glass if you got one.
or try another bulb.

marcingo
12-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Almost sounds to me like the bulb might be on its way out...... That's how they act at my shop when they are going.

Thing is though- the bulb is only 2 months old, also if it were a bulb issue would the ballast be turning off the bulb?

smellyfish- that sounds like it might work thanks. If there is a crack or other issue how would I go about fixing it? Solder?

smellsfishy
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
soldiering iron and 50/50 soldier if it's a cold soldier joint, just heatup so it liquifiesand covers both pionts again, unless the board foil has broken away then you will have to scrap off the clear coating on top of the foil so the soldier will stick. if its a crack the best is to use jumper wires, from component pins you'll have to trace it back to ther nearest pins. if your not sure and you find a problem go to a local electronic repair (tv/stereo etc.) shop. if i was the tech there i would just do it for free.if it's appart and accessable it only takes a few seconds if the iron is hot and ready to go, they may charge ya 10 bucks or so. A good tech might be able to find a component failure if there is one, to them it's just a basic power supply, although get a qoute first it will likely be cheaper just to buy new or used if you can find what you want.
hope this helps, let use know how it turns out.

smellsfishy
12-31-2006, 09:34 PM
ooops i meant to say 60/40 solder resin core. not acid core. sorry.