PDA

View Full Version : power outages

P R Wildwood
12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
As most of you from lower mainland B C know there has been some massive power outages this winter .. my question is what do you all do to protect your fish when power goes out .. how do you keep tanks warm ect .. should i be lookin into buyin a genarator ??

marie
12-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I have a honda generator but there are some good threads come up recently on the subject. Check out the Vancouver reef club forum, I think 3 of them are in there :biggrin:

MDG3
12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
I used one (Coleman Ultra 2500W) on the last power outage, out for 31 hours. It saved my tank and kept the basement suite reasonablely warm (19 degrees)with a portable heater. So, YES, definitely. :idea: :idea: GOOD

andresont
01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
As most of you from lower mainland B C know there has been some massive power outages this winter .. my question is what do you all do to protect your fish when power goes out .. how do you keep tanks warm ect .. should i be lookin into buyin a genarator ??

Ian Gilmartin, 60, has invented a mini water wheel capable of supplying enough electricity to power a house - for free.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=5492007

Chin_Lee
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
this low-head power generator has got me thinking about our overflows and my overflow pipes from my tank upstairs into my basement sump - that would generate a lot of electricity with 13 foot drop

Ian Gilmartin, 60, has invented a mini water wheel capable of supplying enough electricity to power a house - for free.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=5492007

Reefer Rob
01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
LOL We could just put the thing outside here and there would be enough water to power it!

andresont
01-05-2007, 04:41 AM
this low-head power generator has got me thinking about our overflows and my overflow pipes from my tank upstairs into my basement sump - that would generate a lot of electricity with 13 foot drop

i always liked your thinking Chin !

midgetwaiter
01-05-2007, 06:58 AM

I don't know how serious you were about that but if you think carefully it could never work. The 13ft drop might generate quite a bit of juice but for it to be enough you'd need a perfect generator and pump. You need to get it 13ft back up after all.

tranvictor
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't know how serious you were about that but if you think carefully it could never work. The 13ft drop might generate quite a bit of juice but for it to be enough you'd need a perfect generator and pump. You need to get it 13ft back up after all.

Do you think it would work with just a 4 foot return? I mean even if it generates enough juice to kill some of the power bills that would be enough for me. I wonder how much flow it would require passing through the generator?

fishface
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
if you guys are really serious about this idea i'm pretty sure it's been beaten to death on RC somewhere. i believe the results weren't worth the effort after all the numbers had been crunched.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=984139&highlight=generate+electricity