PDA

View Full Version : Rio Mini Sun on a Timer?

midgetwaiter
12-31-2006, 09:08 AM
I picked up a RIO Mini Sun a while ago to use as moonlights but it doesn't work so good. I've been trying to determine if it is broken of if the guys who designed it were just really stupid.

The unit has a button that turns the lights on and off. Not a switch mind you but a button that it turn activates the switch. What this means is if you are using a timer to turn them on and off it won't work because when the power turns on you still need to press the button to turn them on.

I've been looking around for forum posts or something like that that talks about this but haven't found anything. I just can't believe this was built like this on purpose and I am wondering if mine is broken.

Anyone else tried one?

GrimReefer
12-31-2006, 03:17 PM
where did you manage to find one? surely you could hard-wire the switch closed? regardless, i'd agree that that is a stupid design for a light.

Glennrf38
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
I would just change out the switch. Should be an easy task to do.

WWWD
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
My vote is on stupid after owning a pile of Rio products.

midgetwaiter
01-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I needed to swap out the power bar I was using on this tank for one with more plugs. The moonlight is now plugged into a GE mechanical timer and it works. I tried unplugging the timer and plugging it back in, that works too. Put it back on the Coralife digital power center and it doesn't.

Strange.