PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang acting funny

Ruth
12-27-2006, 12:36 AM
My Naso tang - that I have had in my 230g for 2 years now has been acting sort of funny the last few days. He still eats well and swims around. He has his favorite sleeping place - head first into a space between the live rock and the aquarium wall. He has always gone there as soon as the lights go out but lately I am finding him there during the day - almost like he is resting or something. I have never noticed him doing this before - he is usually out swimming around doing laps.
No signs of disease or anything - just the going and hiding in his spot.
Should I be worried?

Scavenger
12-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Had any extra holiday company (ie small kids or adults who put their faces right to the tank) louder than normal music, or changed your scheduling lately?? If so, could be stress. Any chance of Xmas lights illuminating the tank out of normal tank light times??
Just throwing out ideas here.

Ruth
12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Actually the answer to those questions is no. I am the one that has done the visiting this Christmas so no small kids or other company. My attempt to put up a Christmas tree was a disaster (2 6 month old Bengal kittens thought I had bought them a new toy). The only real change is probably me being home more I guess but he has never done this before when I have been off for a couple of days.

Delphinus
12-27-2006, 02:41 AM
I hope it's nothing -- but for what it's worth, my tang (Z. desjardini) started doing that too about 6 months ago (I've now had him about 4 years). All of a sudden he would startle super easy from things that never used to bother him. I'd find him all black and motionless in his little parking spot. First time I saw it I thought he was dead. Still kinda creeps me out, I try not to do sudden moves and so on when around the tank nowadays.

naesco
12-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Likely it is stress but dont panic.
If you have not added anything to your tank, and have kept your hands out of the tank, and your parameters are constant it may be that it is getting too much attention from you.
Approach the tank less frequently and observe her from a distance.

The other thing it could be is that you are getting some electrical charge from a powerhead or other piece of equipment. If you dont have a titanium ground now would be a good time to invest in one.

Wayne

adidas
12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
old age?

demon666
12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
that is what i was thinking too......

Ruth
12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
old age?

I guess it could be - he was pretty big when I got him and has not really grown that much since.

EmilyB
12-29-2006, 03:22 AM
I think research has shown tangs can live 99 years in the wild. I'd be prone to thinking stray voltage as well.

Ruth
12-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Grounding probe ordered! Thanks and we'll see if that has any effect.

naesco
12-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Grounding probe ordered! Thanks and we'll see if that has any effect.

Good decision Ruth.

You can buy a simple test instrument that will check to see if there is voltage in the tank. By temporarily unplugging each electronic device, (pump, powerhead etc.) you can find out which one is causing the problem.
Someone with a electronics background please chime in.

I have kept tangs for a few years and find that they do strange things from time to time (like swimming sideways at the water surface). We than become concerned about them and focus on them which in turn stresses them.

If they are eating and have no signs of parasites or other stuff, they are probably OK.

Wayne

Ruth
12-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks Wayne - yes, other than the occasional hiding everything appears to be fine. At the slightest suggestion of food he is out doing the dominance laps around the tank. Fat and no signs of parasites or other diseases. Still goes into his cave - probably 4 or 5 times a day but other than that nothing in his looks or eating behaviour to give me concern.
We'll see how I make out with the grounding probe. My usual trick is to find stray voltage by sticking my hand in there and realizing that I have been shocked - it is usually as I am about 3 feet in the air and falling backwards at an alarming rate of speed from the chair that I was previously standing on. I hate electric shocks:twised: