PDA

View Full Version : bubble tip anemone question

Edmonton Eskimo
12-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I have a bubble tip anemone under 150 watts of metal halide and I'm wondering why it is getting brown algae on the tentacles. It looks like they are getting covered in that brown algae that gets on your sandbed. It seems healthy, it opens up nicely and still accepts food regularly and it has a maroon clownfish hosting it. My water is good 0 nitrates,.1 phosphates, ca 400, alk 2.8 meq/l. I have never seen this before any help appreciated.

i have crabs
12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
i have a condi that was very white when i got it,it slowly started getting brown and i thought something was wrong but it was just getting healthy and turning the colour it should have been.
here is a pic of the tank when i got it,the anemone is on the right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/may10011.jpg
here is the same anemone a year later under better lights and less nitrates
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/oct262006095.jpg

Edmonton Eskimo
12-27-2006, 12:29 AM
see how yours has actually changed color whereas mine seems to have the brown stuff on it rather than in it. Here is a picture of it. I don't know if you can tell but that brown stuff seems to be on the outside of the tentacles.

Pan
12-27-2006, 01:20 AM
see how yours has actually changed color whereas mine seems to have the brown stuff on it rather than in it. Here is a picture of it. I don't know if you can tell but that brown stuff seems to be on the outside of the tentacles.

its just bleached

surgeonfish
12-27-2006, 04:36 AM
I also agree. The coral rely on Zooxanthellae algae for survival. The algae are brown and with proper lighting and water conditions should multiple and unbleach your anenomes.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I've had corals and anemones that were bleached before and it doesn't look like that. They slowly changed color throughout not just in some areas. I don't know maybe I'm just paranoid it just doesn't look like anything else that I've seen bleached.