PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing an Aquasafe Maximus RO DI

Todd
12-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I am thinking of buying one of these units, but I am only renting a place and will likely only be there for a year and don't want to have to plumb anything in.

I am wondering what is required to install one of these things, and if they can be easily removed without any plumbing issues.

Thanks for your help!

Borderjumper
12-26-2006, 05:37 PM
I will have my husband answer this later, as he was the one that plumbed ours in. If I remember correctly, you have to pierce a cold water pipe with a saddle valve( thats included) for water intake, and you also have to pierce the drain( ABOVE the bend in the pipe) to discharge. Both of these could be easily cut out and repaired with a coupling when you move. The unit comes with a little faucet, but we didnt install that. We just left a loop of pipe with a valve under the sink. We fill our water bottles and aquariums off of that.

The directions that come with the unit are written kinda oddly:mrgreen: but with common sense its an easy install.

christyf5
12-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I just hooked up one of these to the tap, it works like a charm.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/rounits/accessories/faucet.jpg

It should screw into any faucet that is threaded. Then I just have the waste water hose down the drain when I'm using it. Its a great temporary solution for renters that don't want to make a mess of their plumbing.

Todd
12-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the help, I think that I will order one and hook it up like you suggested Christy.

DanG
12-27-2006, 03:52 AM
When you buy the unit from ebay, you can ask the aquasafe guys to include a faucet adapter, it's about 5 bucks. I am using one, and it works like a charm.

fkshiu
12-27-2006, 07:03 AM
There's an in-between option that's also available from the company when you order. I forget what it's called, but it's an adapter that screws in just under your sink's cold-water tap.

With this adapter, you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of having to constantly switch a faucet adapter around, but you don't make any "permanent" changes to your plumbing as with the saddle valve.

When you move out, you simply shut the water supply, unscrew the adapter, replace the original connections and turn the water back on - no one will ever know you had an RO/DI unit there!

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

fishface
12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
There's an in-between option that's also available from the company when you order. I forget what it's called, but it's an adapter that screws in just under your sink's cold-water tap.

With this adapter, you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of having to constantly switch a faucet adapter around, but you don't make any "permanent" changes to your plumbing as with the saddle valve.

When you move out, you simply shut the water supply, unscrew the adapter, replace the original connections and turn the water back on - no one will ever know you had an RO/DI unit there!

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.that's what i've also done and it works great and not permanent. it's just a "t" junction that goes between your fawcet and the turn-off valve under the sink. musta cost maybe $5 at any hardware store.

Todd
12-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I see that they have those available for an extra 5$, looks like a good solution! What do you do with the wastewater line, or did you plumb this in?

fishface
12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I see that they have those available for an extra 5$, looks like a good solution! What do you do with the wastewater line, or did you plumb this in?i plumbed it in to the drain but it's super easy to repair when you leave. just take some plmbers puddy or that puddy you use for fragging and make a plug...hardens nicely then i just put a wrap of electrical tape over it and you couldn't even tell it was there.

Todd
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Sweet. That sounds like the way to go. Water changes will be alot nicer (and cheaper) once I eliminate the run to the water store!

fkshiu
12-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Here's a photo of the t-adapter. I had Aquasafe include it in my order for another $5 or so. It screws right into your cold water connection.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5188&cat=507

BTW, I officially got wierd look #3214 since I started this hobby from my wife as I was stooped very awkwardly under the sink taking this picture. =)