PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID

andsoitgoes
12-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi all - Just hoping you can help ID this beauty for me. I have it in my recently acquired 44g reef (thanks Dead_By_Dawn, it's a beauty!) and although I should have done my full checks/balances earlier - want to make certain that this is going to be safe in my tank and not cause much harm and damage to my fishies.

I have a few inverts in this tank, but nothing too tiny. The clown I got to go along with the anemone started hosting before I even had them both in the tank. I put it on the rock and it stayed there, happy as a clam...er...

Anyway. Safe, or not safe? That *IS* the question. I don't want to have major tank problems for 30 bucks!!

:)

Merry Reefmas, everyone!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/npapageorge/44g%20Cube%20Reef/IMG_7430.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/npapageorge/44g%20Cube%20Reef/IMG_7429.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-25-2006, 08:36 AM
It's a carpet anemone & it will catch & eat up your fish. I know several members who have lost large numbers of fish to these types of anemones. Go with BTA or LTA.

Pan
12-25-2006, 08:42 AM
they are also the hardest anemone's to keep in captivity. They are notoriously picky, that being said many people have them and they thrive and they are quite stunning to look at (my opinion anyway)

andsoitgoes
12-25-2006, 08:44 AM
How many ways can I swear? Grr. This is what I get for being impatient. Well, guess I'll post 'em for sale - or trade for a BT or LT

Sigh - anyone got one they want to swap? I figure it'll be good until at least someone snags it from me, right... right?

Delphinus
12-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Before you condemn it -- this is Stichodactyla gigantea not Stichodactyla haddoni. Haddoni is the fish eater, gigantea's are much more docile in their feeding habits.

Having said that though, they are notoriously difficult anemones with the highest initial mortality rate of all the hosting species of anemone. So while you won't lose fish to a gigantea, keeping a gigantea alive is really the bigger issue. If you can keep one of these alive for 8 weeks you're in a very small minority. However if it does make it to 8 weeks and beyond odds are pretty good it can do well for you.

An ASTOUNDING deal at $30. If I was local I'd give you one of my roses for it, these carpets are my favourite. (I have two already!) These are natural hosts for both ocellaris and percula clowns, the only other that does both (naturally) is H. magnifica.

Part of the reason for the low price though is that it's bleached. However with good lighting it can recover.

andsoitgoes
12-25-2006, 07:32 PM
ugh - well knowing my lack of reefkeeping skills, I'm afraid it might just NOT make it, especially if it is such a beauty of a species.

I could always overnight it via post in a few days? ^_^

Delphinus
01-03-2007, 05:15 AM
How's it doing now? Or did you end up selling it?

andsoitgoes
01-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Traded it to Tangman for 2 of his cloned LBTAs - which are doing very well!