PDA

View Full Version : Okay Now that christmas is outta the way

Pan
12-25-2006, 06:49 AM
Okay it's 1248 am Christmas day, now that it's out of the way when is there going to be a reef meet in calgary :)

Yeah i wish people a merry fishmas, but i'm not christmas kinda person.

adidas
12-25-2006, 07:14 PM
yup xmas sucks let's just get it over with!

Richard_Dicosimo
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
123 veiws and no responses... what ever happend to that last large south calgary tank tour anyhow, it was completely cancled or what??

Richard

Der_Iron_Chef
01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
South Calgary tour, eh? Nice. Except...I don't think I'd want to general public to see my tank. Not with all the beautiful tank pics I've seen on here! Give it a few....mmm...years?:redface:

Chaotic Cricket
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I think a "frag" meet of some kind would be interesting as well, If had the room I would host it, but alas I do not. Does anyone?

BMW Rider
01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I had tenatively offered to host one a while back pending the installation of our carpet. The carpet is coming next week, finally, but then my work schedule gets into weekends until into the middle of February. Plus my sps have almost all cratered lately, so I'm a bit embarassed to show off the tank much right now (lost most of them to RTN :twised: a couple are ok and or recovering).

I'll run this past my wife to see if she is willing to allow a bunch of "fish geeks" in for a meet. Maybe the corals will be looking a bit better by then too.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-08-2007, 11:11 PM
id love a frag swap but none of my corals are big enough to frag, and trading for money just isnt as satisfying. i think i would rather have new corals then 15$, but thats just me, i suspect im not the only one tho... so its hard to ask someone to frag for cash i think.. UNLESS SOME ONES OFFERING :D :D :D

anyone :P

Richard

Chaotic Cricket
01-09-2007, 03:43 AM
id love a frag swap but none of my corals are big enough to frag, and trading for money just isnt as satisfying. i think i would rather have new corals then 15$, but thats just me, i suspect im not the only one tho... so its hard to ask someone to frag for cash i think.. UNLESS SOME ONES OFFERING :D :D :D

anyone :P

Richard
Thats my problem too, I have no frags to trade only money :)
I sold all my sps colonys off a few years ago and just recently felt like doin it again. They were just too demanding at the time, they were all in great shape and huge, but i figured sell them or give them away before I let them go. I gave most of them to a friend who subsequently dissapeared, no one has seen him for years now.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-09-2007, 05:14 AM
so there are definitely people in the Calgary area who want to do a reef meet or even a tank tour so what does everyone feel like doing??

personally i think a tank tour would be cool, i like the idea of getting to see several other peoples tanks, and the way they have their equipment setup.

Richard

Chaotic Cricket
01-09-2007, 05:44 AM
so there are definitely people in the Calgary area who want to do a reef meet or even a tank tour so what does everyone feel like doing??

personally i think a tank tour would be cool, i like the idea of getting to see several other peoples tanks, and the way they have their equipment setup.

Richard

A tank tour would be cool, or if anyone has expertise in acrylic work or something, like making your own reactors (for whatever media) sump designs, you name it. It'd be nice talking to some people in person who don't say things like you paid ?@?@? for a stupid fish :)
I live to far out of calgary or mine would be up for viewing, although my dog would not approve, in fact I doubt anyone would get near him. The only problem with a tank tour in the winter is the mess, everyone coming and going, though I suppose the weather isn't that bad (ie slush etc). I wish it were summer we could do a Barbecue. Sometimes I wish calgary were like one of the bigger centres in the states where you pay membership fee and they have regular meetings, not all the time do I feel this way though. Maybe start a poll with a list of things that might be available to do. Maybe if someone is willing to use their space for a meet they could poll to see what we could do?

Richard_Dicosimo
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
that last post confused me... people in the states pay a fee to be a member of a reef meeting group? what do you get out of the membership, like free coral raffels at the meet?

Richard

Delphinus
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
You can have an aquarium society up here too where you can pay fees. In fact Calgary has one, the Calgary Aquarium Society, but my understanding is they are primarily a FW and FO focus. We tried to set up a reef one a few years ago but we didn't have the #'s to make it viable. It's something I want to revisit in the future though.

The reason you pay is that if you are going to bring in guest speakers, you have to find a way to fund their travel expenses. So you need to have a treasury, an executive and so on.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-09-2007, 04:54 PM
that sounds interesting but i think i would have to hear alot more about something like this before i jumped on board. And then again i suppose it all depends on how much a membership fee would be.
I think what i would enjoy more then a guest speaker is seeing other peoples tanks in person. I dont know about you guys but for me the most exciting aspect of this hoby is the diversity of creatures, i love seeing the less then typical fish in peoples tanks, clown fish dont do it for me anymore.

i think we should have a tank tour in Calgary, it doesnt have to be a burden if we arrainged for say 30 minute stops at each tank. then its not like you have the inconvienece of 30 people hanging out in your house all night.

Richard

Delphinus
01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I agree and many other people did too which is why it was left this way for now. Unfortunately it means the onus is on individuals to volunteer their places and so on which means we're probably meeting less often.

It's more for if you wanted to bring somebody like Calfo or Borneman in to do some presentation or whatever. Thing is, for something like that, it would be better to consolidate efforts between Calgary and Edmonton so it would involve a level of organization that would be something of a step up from what we've got right now. :) Plus who knows how often you can do something like that without it being too repetitive. Ie. probably only once a year, and for the other meets it could just be things like frag meets or tank tours. And theoretically we do those now without having to pay a membership fee, so I'm not sure if there's a lot of support for formalizing an actual group just yet. Heck Vancouver doesn't even have it yet! Although it seems they are on the cusp of forming something, I'm not sure.

The one advatange though of a formal society is that there would be an executive council to make things like meetings and so on a regular happenstance, rather than relying on individuals to take it upon themselves to offer up their place. So it could end up that we'd have more frags meets and so on. Which may be a good thing. :) So we might want to keep this idea in our backpocket, i.e. don't bury it too far just yet. :)

BMW Rider
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
One possibility that having a society with a treasury is that a meeting place could be booked for frag meets as opposed to relying on someone to host in their home. It is a big thing to take on for a person given the potential numbers of people that could attend. The last couple I went to were very well hosted, I'm not sure I can measure up to those standards. Certainly summer time would be better given the potential to utilize the yard for a BBQ.

A tank tour would be less demanding on any one particular person. To minimize the vehicle traffic, carpooling could be co-ordinated among some participants. Perhaps even have a limited number of participants (20-25 ??)to manage the human traffic. If a person is offering up their tank for viewing, they are automatically in, then any remaining spots would be up for grabs.