PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Nano Streams

wayner
12-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Like to hear comments from those who already have them up & running.

tks

Diana
01-09-2007, 06:13 PM
We have one, so far so good, moves a good amount of water gently, which is why we got it. Was a bit noisy at first but settled down in a few days. The magnet attachment is a great idea and works good.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I echo what Diana said. Pushes a remarkable amount of water, gently, for its size. Replaces the need for those PITA suction cup mounts. Mine was never noisy...just settled into a noiseless purr right away :smile:

OCDP
01-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I bought the 6025 (smallest nanostream) for my 20g tank. I already have 2 Seio 620's in there, and this just tops the icing on the cake. Perfect amount of flow... The magnets are an awesome idea. The 3D positioning of the nanostream is awesome as well. I now have the perfect amount of flow in my tank.

Worth the $$ IMO .. but can't say how they will compete against a Seio (longterm) . The magnets and *small* size of these powerheads make them that much better than a Seio.

Raf
01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
and much faster to set-up! :)

krisalexander
01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I just purchased the 6025 the other day. I have a 65 G and had a bunch of maxi-jets in there this thing not only easy to move but purrs and looks good in your tank(unlike the maxi-jets which are so bulky looking). Worth the 75$ IMO

Kris

Der_Iron_Chef
01-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Mine has started to make lots of noise. Like, noticeable from well across the apartment. I think I'm going to pull it out and clean it, but it seems to me that it shouldn't require a cleaning within a month's operation.

OCDP
01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Mine has started to make lots of noise. Like, noticeable from well across the apartment. I think I'm going to pull it out and clean it, but it seems to me that it shouldn't require a cleaning within a month's operation.

Mine has been up for two weeks and mine is definitely not quiet, but I wouldn't say it's noisy either. I'll post back if mine starts to act up like that...

skylord
01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
My first one was very noisy so I took it apart and the impeller shaft was sheared off. It was replaced for me and now the two I have make almost no noise at all. Very quiet.

Scott

Der_Iron_Chef
01-29-2007, 01:02 AM
My first one was very noisy so I took it apart and the impeller shaft was sheared off. It was replaced for me and now the two I have make almost no noise at all. Very quiet.

Scott

Yeah, I took mine apart to clean/inspect it, and the impeller/propeller shaft was also sheared off (the metal rod that holds the propeller on was rusted and had broken off). Weird! But it was also replaced for me where I bought it here in Calgary. Gotta love good customer service.

JasonJ
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
hey guys
my nanostream 6025 just started making a really loud noise. it was quiet before. ive only been using it for maybe 3 weeks now. i checked the impeller seems fine. any ideas?

muck
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
broken shaft?

Buddyboy
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Jason,

Lots of people have been having trouble with this initial run of nanostreams. My 6025 has been fine, but many people have been having problems.

Confirm that the impeller shaft is straight and not moving around (ie you can't pull it out). If not, go over to www.reefcentral.com and go to the Tunze forum. Ask the same question of Roger over there. He's a very helpful guy!

If that doesn't work, you might need to return the pump and get a new one. I think the Canadian distributor is Proline Aquatics.

And most importantly, good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Okguy
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Mine's also been fine but you might want to read this post.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25338&highlight=nanostream

Sounds like you will have very little problem getting it replaced

JasonJ
02-13-2007, 08:25 PM
turns out the metal shaft rusted and broke off.
so JL gave me a new one. they said only the first batch of these guys has that problem.
Mike from JL said that the metal shaft shouldnt be comin off. when he pulled it ..it just came right off all rusted.

all is well.
thanks.

Dave C
02-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I've got two 6025s and like them a lot. But one does suffer from the same problem that some Seios have... it doesn't always turn on after being shut off. It can take a half dozen resets before it will run.

Rippin
02-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Well, just installed two 6025 nanostreams in the 50g aquarium.

This was the setup BEFORE the Tunze powerheads:
Seio 1500
Fluval 303 (for carbon and surface aggitation)
Deltec MCE 600, which actually has a decent amount of flow for a HOB skimmer.

The two 6025 replaces the Seio and the Fluval 303 canister.

The flow is now slightly greater and definitely more diverse.
It's actually quite amazing - if you place your hand in front of the Nanostreams it doesn't feel as strong as the Seio 1500, but it does just as good a job for flow.

Installation was quite easy, although you have to take some precaution as the plastics are thinner than standard powerheads. Definitely take seriously the warning of placing the two magnets close to each other. If they are within a few inches of each other they will snap together and you'll have a h&ll of a time trying to get them apart. Don't use this product if you have a pacemaker :mrgreen:
With 3/8 of an inch of glass between them, it's no problem.

Start-up was almost immediate. If you hear some clanking on start-up, disconnect the power and try connecting again. It shouldn't take more than a couple of tries to get it running in the correct flow direction.

Noise-wise it's a bit louder than the Seio 1500 which is very quiet, even more so for it's size.

IMHO, two 6025 is enough for a 50 gallon aquarium. In conjunction with the Deltec skimmer, total flow and coverage is almost perfect. I have about 65 lbs of live rock.

We will see how this product fairs in the long run.

Cheers.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm frustrated for the second time with my second Tunze Nanostream 6025. The first time, the impeller shaft rusted/broke up, like mentioned above. So, it was replaced by the retailer.

I just turned off the pump to feed the fish, and now it won't restart. I know people are mentioning having to reset it a dozen+ times....grrrr. What does "reset" mean anyway? Unplug-plug...and repeat X12...or until it starts?

I'm just suprised that Tunze has marketed a product which seams to have an increasing number of emerging design flaws. I will say that, when it's operating, it operates well. So I'm not completely un-sold on this item :-)

Dave C
02-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I turn it off and on until it stays on. You have to give it about 5 seconds before you decide it's not going to fire up. Sometimes it kicks in during that time. It's completely random too, sometimes it works right away, others not.

OCDP
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I turn it off and on until it stays on. You have to give it about 5 seconds before you decide it's not going to fire up. Sometimes it kicks in during that time. It's completely random too, sometimes it works right away, others not.

Have the same problem. Mine just takes a few plug-in/un-plug and it will kick on. Mine has been up a few weeks and I haven't noticed any problems otherwise. Weird for a Tunze product to have so many flaws. I mean.. there's quite a few with this product. It's a scary thought when you hear of the "C" clamp notches breaking off... eesh... that could be really nasty .

GrimReefer
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I just set up my two 6025s last night in my 30 gallon. The first one I plugged in started in reverse. Unplugged it...plugged it back in and it was working. These replaced 3 aquaclear powerheads and I don't have any experience with anything but powerheads. But I don't have any complaints after a day of use. Nice even flow and the whole tank is churning nicely now. I'll post any problems I have with them.

GMGQ
02-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Have you guys tried using a turkey baster or something to kinda 'push' some water on the propellor to give it a bit of a winding start? I believe these things work on electromagnets, so maybe something wasnt lined up properly.

(Or maybe it's cuz I just watched the DVD Flyboys, and remember them push starting the propellors of their old airplanes :P)

Okguy
10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm curious to hear from people who have owned these for longer than 4 months.

I got 2 6025's last February and within 3 months the impeller was rusted. I returned them to J&L with no issues and got new ones. I've now had these ones running for 5 months and despite being extremely careful when handling the pumps, the plastic tabs on 1 have broken off and the clamp on the other just shattered in my hands. On top of that both impellers have started to rust again.

There were rumors that the some of the first batch were defective but I'm beginning to wonder if the whole design is flawed. I'm going to return these one's the next time I'm down at the coast but I really don't want to be doing this every 3-5 months until the warranty ends.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or am I just incredibly unlucky? :cry:

fencer
10-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I have some used Tunzes. They work fine. I did inspect the shaft and the magnetic core. The shaft appears to be rusting. There seems to be some wear to one side of the core as well. Hydors I have had for 4 months(new) and the shafts are starting to corrode too but cores are not wearing. The wear problem is a design flaw in the Tunze. In Hydors the shaft is stablized on both ends and tunze only on one end(at least the ones I have) So my point is if the tunzes become unbalance wear quickly results. I had both on a wave maker and each time the tunzes started up it would make the worst noise. The hydor signifigantly less. Oh yes, the mounting bracket stubs on tunzes fracture very easily.

shelleyr
10-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I am on my second round of nanostream 6025's. First 2 rusted impellers and 1 broken bracket - the plastic also seemed to just dissolve. Now 4 months later another rusted impeller on one and broken bracket on the other of the replacements. J&L is replacing them but how many times? Not too impressed with these.

Buddyboy
10-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I feel your pain OKguy! :)

I am now on my second 6025 powerhead. I love the look of the powerhead and the flow pattern is perfect, but they seriously dropped the ball in testing and quality control!

It's frustrating that people are having trouble with their second set of replacement powerheads. Do your powerheads have the new round power cord? Apparently, this is the new "fixed" version of the nanostream.

Oh yeah, I had to modify my new powerhead straight out of the box just to get the front cover to stay on. It still looks pretty loose though. Has anyone else had trouble securely fastening the front cover on their second nanostream (round cord)? How did you fix it?

mseepman
10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I am going on 7 months of having my 6025nano and by the second cleaning (despite being ultra careful) the bracket snapped. I also have a slightly rusty impeller but wasn't sure what to do about it.

I purchased 2 Hydors (a 4 and a 3) from J&L and both work well but again the impellers are rusting. Funny enough I looked at the Hydors being sold at my local store and they all had ceramic shafts. Does anyone know if Hydor makes different versions of their models? My local LFS says their cost is more than J&L sells for so that makes me wonder.

tknude
10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Ya, I have had 2 6025s for around 6 months. I like the look of them and how they push the water, but I have had simmilar issues with 2 rusted shafts, and have had to replace the C clamps 2 times (at least). Not only did the clips on the clamps snap off but the actual C part cracked and did not propery hold the head after a while. I have decided that when cleaning these heads to leave the heads in the clamps as not to break the C clamps. As well I am now extra carfull when searating the magnets from each other as to only hold onto the actual puck part of the magnets and not the clamp or head.

mseepman
10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Ted,

It was the C-clamp that broke on mine too. Did Tunze fix it for you.

tknude
10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
No they did not replace the C clamp only the heads when the shaft broke off.

04scoobysti
10-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Im still running my original 6025, the one with the flat cord. Been doing so since march. The first time i tried to clean it i broke the 2 lower clip that attach it to the magnet. I really like the flow better than my Korolia 4, not comparing gph. The only real problem i have with it is that the impeller sometimes stalls when i restart the pump. I usually just jam in my stainless tweasers to give it a little push start with no ill affects.

Buddyboy
10-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I've really been tempted to try out a Koralia to replace my 6025. You mentioned you like the flow better on the nanostream. How is it different?

04scoobysti
10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
From what ive seen of the two the Tunze 6025 shoots out more of a cylindrical stream whereas the korolia 4 is more of a cone shape (almost shoots out in a 180 degree angle from the impeller) and does not travel as far. In my case, a 20g i didn't want to have more than one powerhead so the tunze won because it could penetrate deeper and created less dead spots in my tank (i still have a few im fighting with). Maybe you could up the size to a 3 or 2, but i had corals too close to the powerhead that couldn't handle the flow.

Skimmin
10-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Are these mainly with the 6025s or with other models such as the 6045s and 55s?

Buddyboy
10-26-2007, 04:38 AM
The problems you mean? Unfortunately, these occur throughout the entire nanostream line.

Are these mainly with the 6025s or with other models such as the 6045s and 55s?

ReefsB4Bills
12-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I have been running 4 6055's on a multi controller for a while now. I have had no problems with them so far. It is still a toss up to me though wether they work better all running full bore with out the controller, or if the random alternating flow is better.

Karen Marlin
12-16-2007, 12:08 AM
I went through several pumps...had all my original 6 replaced...and all the replacements broke too..the impeller shaft snapped off (rusted) at the base.
Also had at least half of the c-clamps break...finally gave up and traded up to 6100's and a controller...needed more flow anyway...but I think there must be a design flaw with the nano's..Karen

erikages
12-16-2007, 12:24 AM
I've got 2 Tunze 6100s and a nano 6055. All variable speed, which makes a huge difference in the tank (e.g. they slow down at night and are programmable for storms, surge, waves, etc.).

Expensive, but well worth it. One thing not mentionned on this discussion is the fact that their transformer units are outside of the tank, keeping heat exchange down.

You may want a 7095 multicontroller if you've more than one Tunze pump. I've got one if you're interested (see for sale section).

I've been running my pumps for more than a year without a hitch. They can be noisy when they surge to 100 percent, but it's usually vibration and can be corrected by shifting the pump position.

Cheers,

Erik

Static
12-16-2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025361

I've been running a 6025 and a 6045 for a couple months now. I cut them both up as soon as I got them, and haven't had any problems with them since. They were both purchased after september 07 and both have the round power cords.

One of them started in reverse for me once, I put my hand in front of the outlet and the prop started spinning the right direction right away.