PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Tube anenomes?

marcingo
12-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone. Just wondering what everyones opinion on tube anenomes is? Are they safe to house with clowns? I have read many articles on the internet some of which say no way, while others say the tube anenome is safer in regards to keeping with clowns than any other anenome. These articles claim there is a much better chance of other anenomes killing a clown or any other fish than the tube anenome doing it.

So what does everyone think about these?

Der_Iron_Chef
12-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Talked to someone recently at a LFS who said that tube anemones pack a serious sting and aren't too safe for clowns. I don't really know personally, though.

marcingo
12-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah the person in the LFS i talked to said something similar but also mentioned it would eat a clown.

Well needless to say I purchased a tube- I guess I will try and see if it will do anything to my fish. I did isolate it from all other corals and placed it under an overhang where not too much direct light will hit it. Also there is lots of sand in this area. Anyway hopefully it wont kill anything

Der_Iron_Chef
12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
They *are* quite stunning, for what it's worth!

Diana
12-24-2006, 12:44 AM
I've had one for a couple years. It's been in a few of my tanks, all with small fish and a pair of clowns. I've never lost a fish to it, and even my tiny sexy shrimp hang out around it for protection. You need to feed it brine shrimp a couple times a week. They can be quite beautiful!

:)
-Diana

Kabong
12-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I saw this artical awile ago.
Acording to it they are a "misunderstood".
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 01:22 AM
I would say hosting for a clownfish an absolute no-no. Tube anemones aren't even real anemones. Apparently they're not as bad for eating fish as their reputation might suggest but nevertheless I would not use one as a host for clownfish. Not saying I wouldn't have one though, they have WICKED colours. Just not with clownfish.

Kabong
12-24-2006, 06:36 AM
I'd have to agree with you'd have to watch what you put with them.
A clownfish could probably build an immunity to the sting but if it went barreling in there right off the bat. I doubt the results would be good.
In my case i have a green clown goby who has to sit in every coral in my tank.
I worry that his first encounter would be his last.

marcingo
12-24-2006, 05:37 PM
well the tube anenome has been in my tank a day and has hidden behind all the rocks at the back and bottom of my tank- is my tank too bright for it? Also seems the clowns arent interested in it which is good. But I dont understand why its hiding at the back of the tank- its no fun if I cant see it- any advice anyone?

Der_Iron_Chef
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM
They're nocturnal and non-photosynthetic. It may take a while for it to start opening up/coming into the light.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Your clowns will not host in the tube anemone. Even if they tried, it would retract back into its tube. I had a tube anemone for about a year & it didn't kill any fish that I'm aware of.

Anthony

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 06:36 PM
They say the reputation for eating fish is undeserved. I'll look for the article (by Rob Toonen) where he talks about that.

Anyhow they are mostly a nocturnal animal, if I recall correctly. Your best bet for viewing is at dawn & dusk. I would try to aquascape a cave or overhang in the front of the tank so that it would be shielded from direct light, that will probably help.

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Here we go: http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm

Also some good info in this thread at RC:
(some neat ideas about using PVC as a base for those with BB tanks)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=961965

marcingo
12-24-2006, 07:26 PM
thanks for the article. Yeah when I put it in the tank I placed it under an overhang- I guess maybe it was too bright but it seems to have dug itself into the sand behind the rocks. Hopefully as you say as time goes by it will come to the front- Do you guys think I should occasionally move it to the front or just let it be?