PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy starboard in Calgary?

Fish
12-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Anyone know a good place? I would like to try something different from bare glass bottom this time around.

- Chad

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Industrial Paints and Plastics over in Builder's Park.

However you may want to ask Psyire or Andrewsk where they MO'd theirs from since it may be a better price than locally, I wouldn't know how IPP compares for prices since I haven't bought any myself.

Veng68
12-24-2006, 02:43 AM
what is starboard?

Cheers,
Aquaman

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Just realized that Psyire has a black sand reef (I think?) so I'm not sure who I'm thinking of who has it. I thought someone ordered black starboard even, but forget who that was. For sure Littlesilvermax has a starboard bottom so maybe ask him too (if M.O. is an option here).

Aquaman, starboard is the stuff plastic cutting boards are made. People use it as a sand substitute (because of the colour) on a barebottom tank.

Fish
12-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Great, thanks for the help Tony!

- Chad

Ruth
12-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure who I'm thinking of who has it. I thought someone ordered black starboard even, but forget who that was.

:mrgreen: Could have been me. I ordered it from "the cutting board factory". I ordered black but it comes in many many colours and they will cut it to your spefications.

Dave C
12-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I have black starboard. I got mine from The Cutting Board Company (http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/custom.asp) (different company then where Ruth got hers). It wasn't cheap after shipping (or before shipping), but I wanted it and they had it.

kari
12-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Has anyone tried calling GE Polymere Shapes? Just an idea.

mark
12-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Was in the back at Johnstone Plastics looking for end cuts and seen some thin sheets that looked like cutting board material. Imagine they'll ship or similiar places in Calgary.
http://www.johnstonplastics.com/product_list.htm

Fish
12-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try some of those places. I am looking for a piece about 29"x17" so it probably won't be cheap...

- Chad

mark
12-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try some of those places. I am looking for a piece about 29"x17" so it probably won't be cheap...

- Chad
From the link fr Dave_C you're only about $37US for material costs. Should be able to get close to that local.

Fish
12-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Nice! That's good news!

- Chad

midgetwaiter
12-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Try Jolle Chef on 39 ave SE. The guy does comercial kitchen installs and usually has some scrap sitting around. I got a piece that about that size to use as a cutting board for $10 or something.

Delphinus
12-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey Chad let us know where you end up getting it from. (I'm going to want a large piece too within the next couple months, for my 280.) Thanks and good luck!

Delphinus
03-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey Chad, ever find some starboard? What did you end up doing here? (I'm just curious, I'm starting to think about what I need to get going for my own tank..)

PS. Apologies if you mentioned it in your tank build thread, I didn't see it in there (I only went back to about page 14 though :p )

Fish
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Haha, actually Tony I never did go get any. I am still in a mental conflict over whether I want the bottom of the tank white or not...
Maybe if you bought some it would help me make up my mind.

- Chad

Delphinus
03-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Ha ha ha, I've been having this whole sort of "Do I? Don't I?" dilemma over it myself and was thinking "Well if *Chad* has some maybe that would help decide if I want it or not ...." :lol:

.. Basically I'm a little conflicted as well. I'm a little unsold on the idea of the gaps in between the edges and the glass accumulating detritus, and what exactly happens underneath the starboard (toxic anoxic whatever).

IPP was like "well we can see you 5 pieces of 54x12 at $50 each" (um, no thanks) and the price at the link Dave C provided was a pleasant surprise after that, although still at $160 (for 6'x2.5' basically) plus shipping, that might at this point be better spent on .. say, maple plywood for my stand or something like that.

Keep thinking that leaving the bottom as bare glass will have a bit of an "unfinished" look, but .. well .. so you basically see my conflict on this one as well basically. :)

I never claimed to be good at making decisions...

Fish
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
That was my concern too Tony. I think I might go with plain glass on the bottom for now - especially with some of those prices you listed!!
A glass bottom doesn't look natural like sand would, granted, but the plan I am considering is for my LR and corals to be 'showcased' like a sculpture on display. Glass sides and bottom with black background underneath that... nothing to detract from the art, you know?
I am also considering growing gsp, zoos, and mushrooms in little meadows along the bottom and thought that the glass&black would provide a nice contrast.

- Chad

Delphinus
03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
FWIW, I went with black sand and a black background on my FW planted setup and I'm really liking it.

My problem is I'll have 1/2" styrofoam under the tank, and unless I can find a big panel of the white, I'm afraid I'll be stuck with the pink and.. well.. I don't want a pink bottomed tank (unless it's coraline.. but that's different). Maybe I'll just paint the styrofoam..

Fish
03-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I have never painted Styrofoam, would the paint react with or dissolve dissolve it??
If you wanted to go that route, you could always through a coat of pant on the outside of your bottom glass... I guess you would be stuck with only one colour though. But you could always just cover it over with starboard or sand if you wanted later.

- Chad

Joe Reefer
03-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I used the blue styrofoam instead of pink on my BB tank.

Tony you could always put some sign board between the styro and the underside of the glass. That stuff comes in almost any color. Just a thought.

Delphinus
03-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Tank's too heavy to roll it onto the side and paint it, otherwise I'd consider that. I'd have to ask for 3 or 4 sets of hands to help me with getting it onto its side, and I'm thinking I'd rather save that favour to ask for instead getting the tank onto the stand when the time comes..

Maybe sign board would work .. that's an option I was sorta thinking about too.