PDA

View Full Version : what is the best phosphates remover.

Skimmerking
12-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I got rid of my algae that i was growing in the sump. Took down the 175 ice ballast. Which is extra equipment again. Now I need to figure out a better way and lower power consumption to rid of turf algae its coming back I have a huge skimmer running wet and lights are one for 8 hrs per day i suck out all the crap that some hows lays in the bottom.... I'm running bare bottom too. IF you are using a reactor to lower phosphates what is the best stuff to buy.

mike

littlesilvermax
12-22-2006, 11:43 PM
I am running SWC brand of phosphate remover, and will be switching to rowa's stuff.

FWIW I saw no difference at all in my set-up.

I don't really have any algea problem though, just want better colors.

Skimmerking
12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Ben you have a pic of it

Pan
12-23-2006, 12:14 AM
rowaphos?

seashells
12-23-2006, 05:35 PM
rowaphos run through a phosban reactor.

Doug

Der_Iron_Chef
12-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Randy Holmes-Farley (Reef Chemistry Moderator on RC) seems to think PHOSaR is the best. "New" pelleted design prevents breakdown of media and allows for better absorption.

Allegedly :smile:

I'm using it and haven't noticed any adverse affects/changes. Too soon to tell, though.

Pan
12-24-2006, 01:43 AM
i think you'll find everyone has a personally preference on everything :)

kwirky
12-24-2006, 08:34 PM
i let my rowaphos expire and a massive algae buildup resulted. Finals were so busy I wasn't able to get all my tank maintenance done on a regular basis for about a month. When I changed it with fresh media, about two days later, the algae turned super ugly, because it was half dead, half alive. looks disgusting. I've been working on removing the algae bit-by-bit by hand, so it doesn't float in the water and just cause a nitrate bloom.

so yah, the phosphate reactor works, but not well enough on my system to be considered the primary nutrient export.