PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians in the house?

bassman
12-22-2006, 01:33 AM
I just purchased a motomaster eliminator power box to use in case of a power outage.

I would like to wire it so that it will automatically run one of my powerheads if I am asleep or not home when the power goes out.

My plan, if it works, is to make a box to house a double pull, double throw relay and a receptacle. I was wondering if I could hook a relay up to my house power, to my power box and to my receptacle. The house power would power the relay so that when the power is on the outlet would get it's power from the mains. When the power is out the outlet would get it's power from the power box. Once the power came back on the relay would open again and reconnect to the mains.

Would this work and if so what kind of relay would I need??

Thanks,

Stace

mark
12-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Could just get a second PH and put a NC relay between it and the Elimanator. Use the utility power to hold the relay open.

Relay could have a 12V coil supplied by a small AC plugin wall adapter.

bassman
12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Could just get a second PH and put a NC relay between it and the Elimanator. Use the utility power to hold the relay open.

Relay could have a 12V coil supplied by a small AC plugin wall adapter.

So then I would have a powerhead in the tank that is not running UNTIL the power goes? Is that right?

mark
12-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes.

If going the other way ensure you get a 'break before make' contactor.

bassman
12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes.

If going the other way ensure you get a 'break before make' contactor.

I would prefer to go the other way. What is a 'break before make' contactor? and how does it work?

mark
12-22-2006, 03:27 PM
In the link a 'breaker before make' is described. Essential as could be making smoke without one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_switch

bassman
12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I will have to figure out exactly what I need so I can build it over the holidays.

bassman
01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to just use my existing UPS backup system (designed for computers) except I would disconnect the wires going to the little UPS battery (12v) and hook them up directly to the battery in the Motormaster Eliminator.

Basically I am just utilizing a larger battery for my UPS and bypassing all the inverter & charging systems built into the Eliminator power box.

mark
01-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Could just go out to Cdn Tire and buy the biggest RV battery out there and hook it up in parallel to the existing UPS battery (assuming 12v) than gut the Eliminator. The only caution would be the charging circuit on the UPS could be taxed once utility resumed and if the battery was significantly discharged. Could get around it by charging the larger battery separately.

BC564
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I would just try the UPS you have now on a test to see how long the battery would run the powerhead.......and if its sufficient...use it...if not...spend $100 and get a bigger one....

bassman
01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I already have the Eliminator, I bought it when it was on sale. I have plenty of other uses for it aside from the fish tank should I end up going another route. I was hoping I could just wire it into my UPS and save having to build a seperate relay box.

The battery in my UPS is dead, won't take a charge anymore.

BC564
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
pm'ed you

Tangman
01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
To make this plug 'N' play or easy , go back to Canadian Tire and buy the Noma 400 battery back up system, it has the relay already build in, just plug it in the wall, plug the power head in to the Noma and your done! The power head runs all the time, power outage or not. The Noma costs $199.00, Canadian Tire has them on sale often for $140.00 or so? Just watch the flyer
It can also be done with two relays with what you have but that's another story and the Noma is SO much easier
Just my 2 cents...

bassman
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Not a bad idea, however I have other uses for the Eliminator and it's 1200 watts compared to the Noma which is only 400. I have 4 tanks to maintain during power outages.

I am planning on running one air pump that will supply air to a single air stone placed in 3/4 tanks, the 4th tank will have one powerhead running instead of a airstone.