PDA

View Full Version : cleanup critters for nano?

christyf5
12-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok so my luck with sandbeds seems to be running out again in my 5G nano. Damned thing has cruddy detritus all over it, looks like browny green silt. Will anything eat this? Ceriths? Nassarius? The tank is just too tiny to support any sandsifters. Any suggestions?

TIA
Christy :)

Scavenger
12-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Both of those snails are great! I found even in modest numbers they helped in the 110. In your nano, I think they would be great for keeping the sand stirred as well as clean.

JSTR
12-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Christy,

I use both nassarius and ceriths in my nanos. Make sure you get the small nassarius. Both snails do well as the stay small <1". the ceriths spend alot of time on the glass and the nassauis plow thru the sand. I also have a crew of 5 left handed hermit (the little guys), 3 nassaruis and 3 ceriths in a slightly less than 9 gallon tank. I am thinking of doubling those numbers. I would start small just a couple of each and and more as needed to get the job done. I also use a pair of two spot gobies to keep the sand moving. They are a great sand sifter and max out at <2". There are several gobies you can use to stir the sand that stay within most nano size limits.

HTH