PDA

View Full Version : Regal tang question

howdy20012002
12-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I have a beautiful 6 inch regal tang.
She has always been a recluse but lately I never see her.
She now hides at the back of the tank all the time.
I am getting a bit concerned because it has been about a week since I have seen her eat and normally feeding time is the one time I would definitely see her.
Does anyone know if regal spawn or anything like that?
any input as to what is going on?
I haven't introduced any new fish in a few months and she looks fine when I am able to shine a flashlight on her through the rock.
I just don't want to lose her as she definitely is a beautiful fish
Any input or opinions is, as always, appreciated
thanks in advance.
Neal

danny zubot
12-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Which one of your tanks is the tang in?

midgetwaiter
12-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Sound like you have an aggression problem with another fish, what else is in there?

howdy20012002
12-21-2006, 11:21 PM
no,
it is is my 90 and it was the boss of the tank with no real threats
the only other one is a 4 inch kole tang..but they have been in the same tank for 8 months
Neal

EmilyB
12-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Something is stressing it, but what ?

Scavenger
12-22-2006, 02:28 PM
How are your water perameters. Done any large water changes lately?? Also, try and get a look inside the gills with your flashlight if possible. There may be a non visible (gill, stomach, ect.) parasite you are dealing with. Do you have any cleaner critters in the tank? ie cleaner shrimp, neon goby ect.

howdy20012002
12-22-2006, 04:17 PM
my parameters are fine
the only thing that is being affected is the regal tang.
she has been there for about a year now
I don't belive it is any parasites and it is hiding behind about 100 lbs of LR so not going to be able check the gills.
For what it is worth, I have a cleaner wrasse and 2 cleaner shrimp.
Does any know if they spawn or anything like that?

naesco
12-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I have a beautiful 6 inch regal tang.
She has always been a recluse but lately I never see her.
She now hides at the back of the tank all the time.
I am getting a bit concerned because it has been about a week since I have seen her eat and normally feeding time is the one time I would definitely see her.
Does anyone know if regal spawn or anything like that?
any input as to what is going on?
I haven't introduced any new fish in a few months and she looks fine when I am able to shine a flashlight on her through the rock.
I just don't want to lose her as she definitely is a beautiful fish
Any input or opinions is, as always, appreciated
thanks in advance.
Neal

I post the below advice respectfully so don't take it personal.

1. Your tank is too small for one tang let alone two. Tangs are swimmers and need the length that larger tanks provide. Minimum 6 feet. Regal tangs probably more so than others.

2. YOU are stressing the fish. I know you are not doing it on purpose as you are concerned about the fish. Never shine a flashlight at any fish that for whatever reason is stressed and hiding. Leave her alone. Keep your hands and everything else out of the tank. Do not hang around the tank. Observe her from a distance until she calms down. Stay away from the tank.

3. You should be feeding tangs several times a day. Regal tangs unlike other tangs are meat eaters. Soak her food in garlic extract to see if you can get her to eat again.

Good Luck