PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare blowing blue bubble...?

Pier Pressure
12-21-2006, 04:04 AM
So my newly aquired sea hare is out at the front of the tank and it seems to be spewing a blue bubbly thing full of air. We are taking pictures/video with our new camera but until we learn how to post this description is the best I can do - it has something coming out of its mouth that is about half its size, blue and hollow (like a soap bubble) and has some pink looking parts involved at the outer rim of the bubble. Anyone know what is going on?

Snappy
12-21-2006, 04:31 AM
That is a new one for me. I have seen them expell a purple coloured fluid from their other end when stressed or squeezed but no blue mouth bubbles. Maybe it has gas?:wink:

Der_Iron_Chef
12-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Hubba Bubba :mrgreen:

Pier Pressure
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Well if he has gas it was still going on last night when the lights went out. Hopefully he is okay when I get home from work today. I will post the video once we get that up and running. Shock and awe is a good way to describe our reaction to whatever the heck it is doing! I have never seen anything like it.

Ruth
12-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I would watch it very closely. I don't know if Sea Hares do the same thing that cucumbers and sea apples to in that they will disengorge (I think that is what it's called) their insides when they are under stress which can result in a very toxic release that can crash your whole system.

Snappy
12-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I would watch it very closely. I don't know if Sea Hares do the same thing that cucumbers and sea apples to in that they will disengorge (I think that is what it's called) their insides when they are under stress which can result in a very toxic release that can crash your whole system.
Seahares don't usually last very long in captivity and I have had several die while in my system over the years and never seen any toxic results from it. I think that the ink they expell is a only defence mechanism. I am no expert and am not certain but I think:question: they are safe. I still don't know about the bubble thing.

Pier Pressure
12-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Well whatever the bubble thing is was apparently bad news for the sea hare. Came home to him dead in the tank with some crabs eating him. I paid $25 for him about a week ago.

I really have to start researching anything I put into the salt tank. He was a great slug :sad:.

craignlisa
12-22-2006, 02:53 AM
I would say something had to happen to him. Maybe he was sick before you got him. I have had mine for 6 months with no problems at all.All i have ever seen from mine was the purple dye when i scared him one day and that still did nothing to my tank.

I would try again.

Lisa