PDA

View Full Version : Red Cyano Bacteria

Tigger
10-28-2002, 02:25 AM
I think I am starting to get some red cyano bacteria forming on the sand. I physically removed it (as it kind of sticks the sand together to for a red skin), but after about 10 hours, it comes back. What causes this? I assume this is not a good thing. I started getting this after feeding mysis more often. Maybe I am overfeeding.

As well, I have noticed that I have quite a bit of red stuff growing a couple cm under the sand along the front side of the glass. Should I dig it up and try to remove it, or should I just leave it.

Thanks

Steve

Bob I
10-28-2002, 02:40 AM
I think I am starting to get some red cyano bacteria forming on the sand. I physically removed it (as it kind of sticks the sand together to for a red skin), but after about 10 hours, it comes back. What causes this? I assume this is not a good thing. I started getting this after feeding mysis more often. Maybe I am overfeeding.

There are as many reasons given for cyano as there are cures. A number of purists would throw up their hands in horror, but when I get it, I use Chemipure. It gets rid of it in 48 hours or less, and has no bad effects. :D

As well, I have noticed that I have quite a bit of red stuff growing a couple cm under the sand along the front side of the glass. Should I dig it up and try to remove it, or should I just leave it.

I would be inclined not to worry about that. It is common, and no cause for worry. If you look at Shimek's sandbed FAQ, he talks about that. :D

Thanks

Steve[/quote]

Samw
10-28-2002, 04:53 AM
I'm starting to get a bit of it too. That's why I'm looking for conches.

StirCrazy
10-28-2002, 05:11 AM
I have 2 fighting conch (got them from sea care) and they make short work of Cyno, about 1/3 of my sand bed was solid cyno a 10 days ago now less than 10% off the cyno is left..

I have found that heavy feeding alond with reduced skimmer efficiency (I for got to clean it one week :( ) and my conches taking a week long nap are the major contributers to cyno in my tank. I also contribute this latest (and my worse) outbreak to some new rock I added to the tank (about 26lbs) I suspect that it might have brought some phosphates along with it as I got a brown/gold algae out break with in days after adding it and then that turned into the cyno..

Just my observations

Steve

Tigger
10-28-2002, 05:57 AM
I also have some brown golden algea forming on the live rocks.

TANGOMAN
10-28-2002, 03:11 PM
I've fought long and hard with this nuisance algae as well. I've just recently taken control. I believe the addition of a skimmer to the system was the greatest benefit but I've also began to use "Phosguard", by SeaChem. I "slow-flow" all make-up and replacement water through a homemade "cylinder" in addition to GAC cartridges. (the poor mans RO/DI). I haven't tested for phosphates or silicates but with no cyano. visible, I believe it's working.