PDA

View Full Version : Elos Test Kits

Jason McK
12-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Who is using them? What do you think

I tried the Alk kit. It is very nice and easy to use. it tests in whole numbers only but compared to Salifert kits it is bang on the money. Plus it's stupid easy.
I would like to expand to other kits and was wondering if anyone has any experience with CA or MG?

ELos Test kits (http://www.eloseurope.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=76&lang=en)

niloc16
12-19-2006, 04:08 AM
currently i'm using, po4, kh, ca and they rock, very very easy to use. they are a bit pricey but i think they are worth it.

SuperFudge
12-19-2006, 04:16 AM
They are the best kits ive used so far.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-19-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm no expert, that's for sure....but I've tried the CA ELOS test, and it seems pretty easy/foolproof/accurate to me!

As someone said, though, kind of pricey. Worth it? I don't know.

Delphinus
12-19-2006, 05:04 AM
I like them but they're not completely foolproof. As in, I broke the little glass vial after about 3 tests. (Whee! $10 per test, I rock!!) You can't buy replacement vials. :( If it had been plastic it probably wouldn't have broke so easily, I dunno.

Other than that, seem like pretty good test kits. Strength seems to be in the low range readings. Course with one tank at 80ppm I'm at the wrongggggggg end of the scale on that one, but I'm trying to deal with that problem. I shouldn't have let it get so bad before trying to deal with it.

Bryan
12-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Does it read in meq/l or dkh, when you say whole numbers only do you mean 7 or 8 dkh, nothing in between.

Who is using them? What do you think

it tests in whole numbers only but compared to Salifert kits it is bang on the
money.
ELos Test kits (http://www.eloseurope.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=76&lang=en)

Jason McK
12-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Does it read in meq/l or dkh, when you say whole numbers only do you mean 7 or 8 dkh, nothing in between.

Yup, You may think that is bad but the test is brilliant.

4ml of tank water then drip and count. Water turns blue and when it turns yellow lets say at 7 drops that is your dKH. It is easy to tell if it's between 7 and 8 because the 7th drop turns the blue water kind of yellow then the 8th drop goes bright yellow

J

Veng68
12-20-2006, 04:22 AM
who sells them in the lower mainland?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Jason McK
12-20-2006, 05:06 AM
who sells them in the lower mainland?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Hidden Reef for sure. not sure of anyone else

J

support@proline
12-20-2006, 07:03 AM
What we notice with this test kit line,it is a lot more consistent retest results on the same sample ,than other brands .
We tested the same water for Ca with elos Test & also Salifert ,Elos was the same reading 3 times in a row which was very impressive ,with salifert +/- 20 ppm variance which is still great compare to other known test kits in the hobby:lol: .
Yes Jason you can get elos products from Hidden Reff , J&L is also going to carry the Elos products soon .
In Alberta Golds is the place
Tony please talk to albert I might be able to fix the vial situation for you:mrgreen:
I will speak to him tomorrow mornig ,so give him a call in the afternoon.
Regards
Jason

albert_dao
12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
What we notice with this test kit line,it is a lot more consistent retest results on the same sample ,than other brands .
We tested the same water for Ca with elos Test & also Salifert ,Elos was the same reading 3 times in a row which was very impressive ,with salifert +/- 20 ppm variance which is still great compare to other known test kits in the hobby:lol: .
Yes Jason you can get elos products from Hidden Reff , J&L is also going to carry the Elos products soon .
In Alberta Golds is the place
Tony please talk to albert I might be able to fix the vial situation for you:mrgreen:
I will speak to him tomorrow mornig ,so give him a call in the afternoon.
Regards
Jason

Weird, I asked Jesse if there were any substitute vials and he said it wasn't provisioned.

Anyway, I'll call you later today Jason.

Dave C
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
it tests in whole numbers only but compared to Salifert kits it is bang on the money.

How do you make that determination? Is there something to compare with to decide which one is accurate?

Jason McK
12-20-2006, 09:59 PM
What I meant was my results were the same when testing against the Salifert test.
But I get your point if the Salifert results were 8.6 the Elos test kit was 8 how could I say they were bang on.

But really. If you were to test your water with the Elos kit and get 8 would you take and differnt action than if you got 8.6 from a Salifert. I've never heard of anyone trying to achive a perfect 8.5 dKH :)

J

Dave C
12-20-2006, 10:11 PM
I wasn't judging your statement, just wondered how you determined which was accurate. It certainly sounds like the Salifert is more precise. Precision usually indicates accuracy in my experience.

Now I see what you mean... it yielded the same result as the Salifert. I thought you meant that compared to Salifert the Elos was more accurate. So what you're saying is that it gives the same results without the precision.

Jason McK
12-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Yup Sorry Dave.

SuperFudge
12-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Hello,
I can tell you they have been more reliable, consistant, accurate and easy to use than salifert for me, hands down...atleast calcium, Mg, Po4 and KH are.

Precision really has no bearing at all, when one can do multiple tests with 3 boxes of the same kit and get precise but inconsistant readings.

Marc.