PDA

View Full Version : Phosban Reactor Media.

OCDP
12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
What is everyone using for Phosban media? I think I can find some Phosguard (Seachem) at a fish store close by work, otherwise Rowaphos isn't available to me yet, nor is Phosban. So, my main question would be, is Phosguard a good media to run until I can find some of the better stuff, or should I just wait 'til I can find some other media ?

Thanks.

Pescador
12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Scott, I think Rowaphos is supposed to be one of the best and I know Elite had some, also PHOSar by Warner is supposed to be as good or better and has larger particles. Wais is supposed to carry it.

Phosguard is an aluminum oxide binder that can possibly release aluminum and irritate corals. See link

Rowa, Phosar, and Phosban are iron oxides that can possibly help with macroalgae growth but usually the phosphate reduction limits it.

Link to phosphate article.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php#15

OCDP
12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Brian.

I will stay away from Phosguard. I'll wait 'til I can find some Phosban or Rowaphos.

I recieved an MJ900 with this unit.. is this too much for a Phosban Reactor? Everyone and everything I've read on what pump to use seems like they use an MJ400 max. So, I'm a bit worried I've got too much flow for this thing now.. ?

christyf5
12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I have a MJ600 on mine, throttled waaay back. In hindsight I probably should have gotten a 400. The flow through these things when using phosban is pretty minimal. They suggest not to have it rolling around to break down.

OCDP
12-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I have a MJ600 on mine, throttled waaay back. In hindsight I probably should have gotten a 400. The flow through these things when using phosban is pretty minimal. They suggest not to have it rolling around to break down.

Thanks Christy. I'll just throttle mine waaay back as well. Will let you all know how things turn out.. I am just going to run some carbon in it for now, until I can find some Phosban.

Thanks again.

OCDP
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I got the reactor up and running. Neat piece of equipment.. I don't know why, but I could watch the carbon tumble around for hours... haha.

On a side note, I am going to grab some Phosar today, and was wondering if I can mix the Phosar in with the carbon that's already placed in the reactor. Would this have any negative effects?

Lastly, the reactor is not as quiet as I imagined it would be. I have my tank in the bedroom and the sound will keep me awake. Is it okay to turn the reactor off at night? Or will this not be good for the media?

Pescador
12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Scott
I think it's probably okay too mix them in the reactor I know that some people run them both together in canister filters. The carbon will probably lose its effectiveness before the Phosar though.

What kind of noise is it making? I don't really hear mine but I have alot of other noise in the fish room.

The only thing I can think of that might be bad about shutting it off at night is if it's supporting bacteria kinda like a fluidized bed it might die off causing an ammonia spike.

One other thing with the Maxijet from my CA reactor manual is that your supposed to have a pressure relief hole to keep from ruining the pump. I used to just put a hole in the output line under water close to the pump.

OCDP
12-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey Scott
I think it's probably okay too mix them in the reactor I know that some people run them both together in canister filters. The carbon will probably lose its effectiveness before the Phosar though.

What kind of noise is it making? I don't really hear mine but I have alot of other noise in the fish room.

The only thing I can think of that might be bad about shutting it off at night is if it's supporting bacteria kinda like a fluidized bed it might die off causing an ammonia spike.

One other thing with the Maxijet from my CA reactor manual is that your supposed to have a pressure relief hole to keep from ruining the pump. I used to just put a hole in the output line under water close to the pump.

I think I'll mix in some Phosar with the Carbon tonight, and I'll keep an eye on things. Would I run the Phosar the same as the carbon, or would I need to restrict the flow a little more. I figure I should be able to keep it at a low tumble seeing as the Phosar is small little balls, just a little smaller in size compared to carbon.

The noise I hear is like a vibration, or a hum. I figured it was the pump vibrating off the tank walls, but that's not it. I will see if I can do something about it tonight.

If anyone else has input on turning it off at night, please post. I don't want to risk ammonia spikes.. but I also like to sleep in my bedroom haha.. :razz:

Are you saying I should poke a hole in my output hose from the Reactor? I'm not sure I am totally following you, sorry.

Thanks for all your help thus far ;)

Pescador
12-19-2006, 09:29 PM
I assumed it was because the Maxijet couldn't handle pressure. Maybe that's what the noise is. When I used a Maxijet to feed my calcium reactor I put a hole in the line near the output of the pump underwater (so it wouldn't spray) to relief pressure.

OCDP
12-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I assumed it was because the Maxijet couldn't handle pressure. Maybe that's what the noise is. When I used a Maxijet to feed my calcium reactor I put a hole in the line near the output of the pump underwater (so it wouldn't spray) to relief pressure.

Ahh okay, I think I got it now (haha) .. here's a quick pic.. is this correct?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/reactor.jpg

Scott

Pescador
12-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Ya that's it, I'm curious to see if it helps with the noise.

OCDP
12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Alright, well I will poke a hole in the hose when I get home. Here's hoping! I'll let you know if it helps.

OCDP
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I got everything up and running now. Running PHOSaR & Carbon in the reactor. It's my understanding that you want the media to gently tumble and look like "water beginning to boil" .. so that's how I have mine set.

Couple questions... I have my reactor filled up about half way (with both carbon and phosar) How long will the PHOSaR last in my reactor? My tank is only 20g , I am not sure if that makes any difference. Is there any way to tell when the media is no good ? Secondly, how effective is this going to be? My rocks are all starting to look a little "fuzzy" with bits of HA and other fun algaes. Will the reactor eventually help rid me of all this crap? (while feeding little and diong water changes along the way) .

The hole in the tubing didn't do much. I can't figure out where the noise is coming from. Definitely near the pump... oh well, it's not the end of the world.. I am just glad I have the reactor up and running with the proper media now. :)