PDA

View Full Version : 7 Saltwater Tanks, 2 Reptile Tanks, and 32 Hours with no power.

Diana
12-17-2006, 04:33 AM
2 X 5 gallon QT Tanks.
20 Gallon Reef Tank w/ 2 fish.
20 Gallon Seahorse Tank w/ 2 seahorses.
33 Gallon Reef Tank w/ 7 fish.
55 Gallon Batfish/Eel tank w/ 2 fish.
110 Gallon FOWLR w/ 12 fish.

1 Veiled chameleon.
2 Leopard geckos.

4:05 am Friday December 15th we loose power... in a groggy sleep Raf insists we can wait until morning to do anything to the tanks, since power-outs over here in North Van tend not to last too long.

8:30 am we wake up... and a little bit of worry sets in. The tanks are cooling off and I notice the fish in my 33 gallon are starting to breathe a little heavy. I get out my most trusty tool... the turkey baster. And I start basting away. I alternate basting the tanks every 5 minutes. Raf heads out into the hell that was Friday morning traffic to pick up our battery powered air pumps from the new house (we are mid-move). After what seemed like an eternity of turkey basting Raf returned in time to prevent my arm from turning into Jello. He only had 3, so he set out to pet-cemetery to pick up a few more. I stayed at home and rotated the pumps between tanks. We luckily have a gas fireplace, so the rooms were staying somewhat warm, but the temp in the tanks was still slowly dropping.

11:30 Raf returns with the extra pumps. Whew. 1 pump for each main tank (we decided to forget about the QT tanks... maybe not such a good idea? ;) ).

5:00 pm we get news that Hydro is swamped and we wont be getting power for another 48 hours. There is no way we can keep these tanks going that long on air pumps. We make the decision to go hunting. For a generator.

7:00 pm. Its getting desperate... as it appears there are no more generators left in Vancouver. Our last try is Home Depot, and we were lucky enough to track down 1 (!!!) left at another store... the display model. We arrive and there she is in all her glory. After $700 for the generator and $200 for some heavy-duty power cords we are almost a grand in the hole. But its worth it when all your livestock is worth much more than that... not to mention sentimental value. The generator we picked up is a Coleman 3750, running approximately 3000 watts (3750 maximum whatever that means).

9:00 pm. We get home to some very unhappy fish. The temp on my seahorse tank and 33 gallon had dipped down to 70F. Raf's 110 was holding its heat a bit better at 74F. It feels like its going to be a long night....

10:00 pm. We finally get the generator up and running. Holy crap this is a LOUD mutha sucka. Forget running it all night since we live in a quiet neighborhood with lots of old people ;). We power up heaters in all the tanks, powerheads, and some filters. Oh, and the deep freeze too. We shut it down at 12 and switched back to the (not-as-loud-but-seems-like-it) air pumps. A client of ours a few blocks away had lost power as well and her tank was in an arguably worse situation, so we gave her one of our air pumps. Thus we had to get up periodically during the night to rotate the pumps... which turned out not to be a big deal since I couldn't sleep anyways. :(

4:00 am Saturday. Laying awake I start to get increasingly worried about our reptiles. After all, it is SNOWING outside and the basement is freezing. I pick up my Leopard geckos and they are like little Popsicles :(. I stuffed them into my shirt and layed down near the gas fireplace... oooo man they were chilly! They went right for the warmest parts... the armpits! It took about 40 minutes to get them warmed up. Then it was our chameleon's turn, who was so cold he couldn't hiss at me or run away. Once I warmed them up I was finally able to sleep...

8:30 am we fired up the generator. This time we put the actinic lights on the reef tanks since our corals were undoubtedly very unhappy. Slowly the temps began to rise and it looked as if everything would be okay.

11:30 am. To our amazement, the power came back on! I am happy to announce we did not loose a single animal in the power-out, which could have been a lot worse. I feel a lot better now that we got the generator, its a huge weight off your mind when you have so much money and heartache invested in your aquarium(s).

I cannot give such a happy ending for our client's tank a couple blocks away. Her house got MUCH colder than ours since she didn't have a gas fireplace. We received a panicked phone call this afternoon, and went over to find her 30 gallon reef tank at a frigid 55 degrees F. The two clowns were rolling around on the sand, the coral banded shrimp was not moving, the clown goby was floating upside down, and the sixline wrasse is nowhere to be seen. I'm not even thinking about the corals at this point. We get the two clowns, goby, and shrimp out and rush back home to slowly bring their temp back up to normal. It took over an hour to warm them up. We had to put them in one of our QT tanks, which made us wish we had kept it warm and filtered throughout the outage. The clowns are virtually recovered and eating, the shrimp looks good, but the goby didnt make it. Her power is still out. She is using pop bottles full of hot water to try and warm the tank up and save the corals.... :(

Moral of the story? BE PREPARED! Have those battery powered air pumps on hand, and if you have a lot of fish/corals/livestock... then get a generator for sure. A backup power supply is better than nothing, but it wont last long and you cant charge it when it runs out.

*whew*. That is our power-out story.

PS- sorry about the novel ;)

-Diana + Raf

Pan
12-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Damn....

And I still am moving there in 1.5 years...attending university in victoria...if i don't decide to go to simon fraser that is...

Raf
12-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Actually baby,

I turned on the one quarantine tank each time I had the generator up, so luckily, we were able to preserve some temp and bacteria culture in the filters. ;)

Anyways, all I can say from this whole experience is that this can happen anywhere to anyone. We presumed we would never loose power....let alone power out for almost 2 days!

We were lucky enough to find a generator and be able to afford one!. The battery powered air pumps were THE life saver IMO. Oh, and the gas fireplace which kept everything above 70F.

Take it easy, hope everyone else made it out ok.

Raf

Delphinus
12-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Wow ... What an amazing ordeal.

Best regards out there.

marie
12-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Sounds like you two are going to need a drink and a good nights sleep :mrgreen:. Thank goodness everything made it okay

Diana
12-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Sounds like you two are going to need a drink and a good nights sleep :mrgreen:. Thank goodness everything made it okay

Drink? CHECK! :mrgreen:

-Diana

woodcarver
12-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Job well done Diana and Raf !!!
So pleased to hear that generally there was a happy ending :)
Very generous of you to try and rescue your neighbours livestock as well as your own.
Also thanks for the heads up on being prepared . I am going to get back into the hobby after Christmas and have definitely decided on a back up generator after the number of outages we have had in Mill Bay . By far the worst winter in my 24 years here !( and its only mid December )
I would appreciate any input on experiences with generators and what type of set -up seems to be appropriate for a domestic installation.
Maybe a thread would be the way to go ?
Thanks again and are they the " common armpit gecko's " :) :)
...................................Dave

EmilyB
12-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Wow. Can't see that happening in Alberta, but you never know.

andresont
12-17-2006, 07:57 AM
7 Saltwater Tanks, 2 Reptile Tanks, and 32 Hours with no power.

Do you think this will work?

if you still have gas in the fire plase...
i herd somewhere that if you take a refrigerant coil from old fridge (or any coiled metal pipe, with no copper in it, say from old chiller ) and a small hose connect to a colder water in your tank, put metal coil on the gas or close to it enough to heat up. Then convection heat will create a slight water flow between cold and hot.
This will need more though but theoreticly it should work, i think.

Ruth
12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
WOW - sounds like you have had quite an ordeal. I know that being without power can definately be a challenge (how many times can you walk into a room and actually flick the light switch before you remember, yet again, that it doesn't work). In the rural area where I live they are actually quite frequent. I have a generator and would highly recommend the Honda EU3000is model. It is very very quiet and is also electric start (I had pulling on those darn cords). This generator is quiet enough to take camping and I use it on the weekends in the summer when I go to horse competitions for my trailer.
When you really sit down and do the math of how much you have invested in your tank(s), the fact that they have multiple applications, IMO there is just no reason not to invest in a quality generator or at least have a plan to borrow one in the event of an extented power outage.
Very glad you were able to save your livestock!

Beverly
12-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Great save, Diana and Raf!

You folks on the coast have been battered with weather for weeks now that I cannot even comprehend dealing with. And that's coming from an Albertan where weather can be deadly cold and unpredictable. Everyone on the coast deserves a medal for braving the storms and power outages. I'm sure there are many who have not fared nearly as well as you :sad:

mark
12-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Think it's rather bizzare in a major area such as North Van (and other areas in the lower main land) this occurs. Can't even remember once in all the years I've been in Edmonton we've had the power out for more than 1/2 an hour.

Even in the rural areas of Alberta long duration outages are rare. Play around with some radar sites sort of in the four corners of the Province. They all have gensets and know about the only time they run is when someone is one site for checks. We'll get the odd bump but usually so short we just carry load on UPSs and utility returns before the generator even starts.

Raf
12-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :)

andresont,

the coil idea may work but Diana thought of a rather simple idea(works best if your have a gas powered hot water tank) is to fill 2L pop bottles with HOT water and float them in the tanks. It helped one of our clients tanks bringing it up from a frigid 55F!

Diana
12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah the southern coast has had a *rough* winter so far. On Friday morning we got winds up to 100 kms an hour. I've heard its the hardest storm in history to hit Vancouver.... and the Island got it even worse.... needless to say lots of people lost power, which is why its taking so long for Hydro to hook it all back up. I think the last power-out we got here at our house was a few years ago. The lady down the street from me STILL hasnt gotten her power back, but her fish are doing fine in our tank.

woodcarver, check out the thread "Sad Sad Day without Power" in this forum, there is a huge discussion on generators. :)

:)
-Diana

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Good job you two.

For Albertans, the huge difference is that we have soooo many trees around here that when a huge windstorms kicks up, many of them get knocked down. Just in Stanley Park, in downtown Vancouver, they estimate THOUSANDS of trees are down, the park is closed & they expect to still be cleaning up & repairing all the damage months, even a year from now. We live in a Coastal Rainforest type region & our trees get very tall, but when developers only leave one or two standing here & there, it creates the perfect situation for the wind to knock them down onto powerlines, homes & cars.

Anthony

sumpfinfishe
12-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Nice work guy's!
Great little story too :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
A question about portable generators.

Do you hook it up to your house electric panel and run your whole house from it?

Or does it just have one power bar outlet to run a few things from?

justinl
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Good job you two.

For Albertans, the huge difference is that we have soooo many trees around here that when a huge windstorms kicks up, many of them get knocked down. Just in Stanley Park, in downtown Vancouver, they estimate THOUSANDS of trees are down, the park is closed & they expect to still be cleaning up & repairing all the damage months, even a year from now. We live in a Coastal Rainforest type region & our trees get very tall, but when developers only leave one or two standing here & there, it creates the perfect situation for the wind to knock them down onto powerlines, homes & cars.

Anthony

ditto. On my way to the vancouver aquarium I had to walk from Georgia street because the buses weren't going into the park. I didnt even know parks closed! anyways, on the 10 minute walk I counted three trees that they had cut down just in case, but nine more that had just been blown right over; huge holes in the ground with roots sticking up all over. I didnt even bother counting the big branches that had been ripped off.

hahaha anyones on the east coast must be having a good laugh at us.:lol:

Squiddy
12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I was over on the mainland yesterday and couldn't believe that the power was still out in Burnaby. J&L was out for 36 hours and the power had just come back online when we got there mid afternoon. The wind hit 170KM/H here! We live next to a large hospital here in Vic. and I'm pretty sure that is main reason that our power didn't go out once the whole time. When I left for work Friday morning, the power was out all around us but we were fine :biggrin:.

As for connecting your generator to your house panel... DON'T! You are NOT allowed to backfeed your home with a generator if the power is out. I would hate to be a BC hydro linesman working on downed lines and hoping that no one is backfeeding their home. Just think.. you fire up the generator, plug it in to the house wiring, you forget to shut off the mains or don't connect something up correctly and all of sudden you've got 120VAC going out of your house. This voltage hits the transformer on the pole and BAM!... you've got something like 25,000VAC on the downed lines which some BC Hydro guy has in his hands. SCARY!

You can have a generator connected up to your house as a backup, but it has to be properly installed with a transfer switch that will guarantee complete isolation from the grid.

Diana
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Agreed,

The generator runs outside the house. To it you hook up heavy gauge extension cords and run them into your house into a powerbar. Then run multiple items off that powerbar.

We had each of our main tanks hooked up. We were able to run the lights, heat, pumps and skimmers no problem, even hooked up the freezer and made a pot of coffee. *kisses generator* ;)

woodcarver
12-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks Diana for the link to generator thread :) :)
Looks like we will go for the Honda EU 3000is that Ruth recommends ( electric start and quiet as well as reliable)
Need to shop around for a supplier.
....................Dave

Griffin
12-21-2006, 04:18 AM
I was like Diana - 32hrs of no power, I was like Raf and said i would check in the morning - everything lived in the end but only due heating water on the gas stove help bring the temp back up and adding a large 600watt power inverter that i hooked up to my truck's battery - got a 100ft extension cord - plugged in both heaters and one power head that was lifted higher so it was blowing air and water. Left the truck running for about 24hrs to keep the tank running (it would drain the battery after about 2 hours if not running) A tank of gas and that inverter saved my bacon in the end. Sorry to those that had losses and i would be more than willing aswell to donate to anyone that is in need. Hope tonights storm doesn't hit as hard although i have heard westview has lost power already this evening. Lets hope it all goes well
Cheers
Rich