PDA

View Full Version : My tank is leaking :(

Delphinus
10-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Well, after five years, the silicone on my 50g has decided to give up the ghost. I have a potential disaster on my hands. :( It has apparently been leaking for quite a few days now, but since it's a slow leak I only discovered it last night. My carpet is ruined. :(

I was going to take this tank down anyways since as you all know everything in it has outgrown it. However I was hoping to do it at my leisure, so that I could have time to build my 72g to be exactly what I want it to be (since every other tank I mostly just built around whatever good deal I could get, and I'm tired of everything looking so hodge-podge as a result of that).

Anyways. So due to circumstance, I have to take this tank down NOW. My 72g in nowhere in any shape or form to take on water. I haven't even resiliconed the bulkheads yet. So I am going to see what I can fit into my 75. I have to make space in my 75g to take on the new items. Oh man, what a lot of work this is going to be. :cry:

The rest ... which is most of the rock, and a lot of mushrooms, mostly ... it's all out of there.

I may end up needing to borrow an unused tank to use as a temporary holding facility. Jonny I know you have one, so, I'll see how the rest of the day goes, and you might be hearing from me.

What a weekend. My sister-in-law is moving into her new place, and needs help moving stuff and putting stuff together, and this is also the weekend I have to destep the mast on the Hobie and take her to winter storage in Conrich .... and now this. Who needs sleep?!

Bob I
10-26-2002, 08:54 PM
That is indeed a bummer. Do you need assistance/ I am free tomorrow.

EmilyB
10-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Wow, your turn... :(

What's sort of weird :shock: is I had this huge long dream last night about my tank breaking, and everything was laying there dry, and I was screaming at Barry, and the saltwater mix in the tub was too hot, but I didn't know and all the fish started dying and I threw everything in the other tank where they all started fighting.....

Maybe I could hear your tank dripping all the way over here?

This is why I am glad I have two huge rubbermaids I use for waterchanging.

I have the empty 33g you could borrow, however I know I am probably too far away, and there is no one here to lift it for me.

Good luck Tony, hope everything is okay.

Canadian Man
10-26-2002, 09:13 PM
HOOOOOLLLLLY!!!

Tony,
Check your mail buddy.
Maybe I can make a stop at your place tonight to give you a hand and bring some spare tanks over.
I am not going to be able to make it to the meeting on Tues as Katie is going to the Bahamas for a month so i need to be home the night before she leaves on Wed morn.

I was hoping to give you the rock for you and Alan, The light strip for alan and the leather frag. As well as pick up the Stony frags tonight.
Anyway let me know.

Like I said Check your mail

Delphinus
10-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I can't tell where it's coming from. But there is a steady drip-drip-drip coming from the bottom of the tank somewhere. My topup has been keeping the water level at the same spot, but my salinity is now 1.022 (it should be 1.025). So three points down on SG, still within a tolerable range, but it does confirm that saltwater is disappearing ...

Luckily it's not a fast drip, so the inhabitants or more or less safe for the moment, but, obviously, I have to get that tank out of there if I am to save the carpet. Actually the carpet is probably a lost cause, the tank has been there too long, a few too many spills along the way. The iron stand is one big piece of wet rust, and there are rust stains everywhere. This has clearly been going on for a while under my nose.

Thanks for the offer of help, and the spare stuff, guys. For the moment I think my task to clear a spot to land my ritteri into my 75. After that ... I don't know what my plan is, or should be. So you will likely be hearing from me as the weekend progresses. Hopefully once the ritteri is moved, everything else will somewhat fit into place. The pieces that I'm worried about fitting in there are the two larger acroporas, my bubble coral, and my ritteri. This is going to be VERY tough to keep everything happy, and far enough from each other and stuff like that.

I do have some large rubbermaids (thankfully!) A 50g square rubbermaid and of course the 30g garbage buckets.

If anyone besides Jonny wants some SPS frags out of my 75g... um ... now might be a good time to make an offer of trade or purchase. Call me at 254-0976.

TANGOMAN
10-26-2002, 11:29 PM
Hey Tony, I've got a 40,20, & 10g that you're welcome to borrow.Also rubbermaid containers,heaters,powerheads...and a shop-vac. Let me know if your in need. Doug. ddeliuk@aol.com

AJ_77
10-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Tony -
I have only a spare 10 gal, but there is some space in the 33 if you need temp homes for anything. Any other creative solutions you come up with, let us know how we can help.

Is the water dripping in a manner that you can catch it? Or is the concern that this will quickly lead to catastrophic failure?

Alan

Tau2301
10-27-2002, 12:39 AM
Tony, just sing out what you think you need and I am sure some has it. If you need some physical help let me know, I am close by.

TANGOMAN
10-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Well I'll get slammed for this one but I cannott even spell my e-mail address correctly. Lets try aol.CA. Ooops, sorry. You win !!! I'm curios about buying some frags. I'm on a very limited income right now but can you tell me if, lets say, $20.00, would "get me in the game"? I have no idea on the value of "frags" and I in no way intend this as an insult or a plea for a charitable donation. Give it some thought and let me know. Perhaps we can arrange something for Tues. Good luck today Tony. Good thing you're getting an extra hour...?

Doug

Delphinus
10-28-2002, 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the offers of help.

It's been a long weekend, having had to move a whole lot of stuff for others, I haven't done a whole lot, not anywhere near as much as I should have. I think the worst is this doggoned cold I have that's got my energy levels super low. But, I think I can pull this off, I'm setting up my 72g from Deb and I think it will be holding water by tomorrow.

Um ... as for frags, if I was to sell the ones I have, I was actually thinking more in the range of $5 to $15 depending on their size and stuff like that. So your $20 goes a fair ways... :)

Anyways gotta run, promised Jonny I'd be over at his place ... oh about an hour ago, to pick up the Tuesday stuff.

kgb
11-01-2002, 07:08 PM
the tuesday stuff >?