PDA

View Full Version : worst night of my life

scub steve
12-15-2006, 06:55 AM
so im sitting at home after my christmas party when i see a huge flash come out of my tank!!! my heater blew up and zapped all my fish corals clams etc. so i spent the next hour taking my dead pets out of my tank. dont know if ill have the heart to start over again :(

Squiddy
12-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Oh geez that's terrible!! I'm sorry to hear that! What kind of heater? Did it show any signs of trouble before this happened?

Pan
12-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Ah dude! sorry to hear it, start over start over...i know it's hard but do it...if you need to take a break (maybe go after the heater manufacturer) would the liverock etc be ok still?

again sorry to hear it bud, losing everything is rough, i only had a little tank i lost once but it took me a long time to want to do it again, but i couldn't get the bug outta me, just laid dormant for half a year, maybe fellow canreefers can donate some frags etc to your cause...i would but i have no frags only one coral so far.

scub steve
12-15-2006, 07:16 AM
it sucks i feel helpless im sitting here watching everything die and flushing fish as they go boooooo to aquarium heaters

scub steve
12-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Oh geez that's terrible!! I'm sorry to hear that! What kind of heater? Did it show any signs of trouble before this happened?

nope it has worked good for about two years its an aquarium system 200 watt heater.im going to try and get a pic up tommorow it blew up in the middle

Reefaddictions
12-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If you do decide to start over again. Give me a call and I'll see if I can help you get you back on your feet again.

Good luck with the recovery.

Paul|Reef Addictions|778-552-5673|reefaddictions@telus.net

midgetwaiter
12-15-2006, 07:58 AM
I've got a couple questions for you if you feel up to it.

The "best practice" discussion on this topic is usually full of theory and conjecture so I bet we'd all like to know more about your setup.

Did you have the tank on a GFCI plug?

Did you have a ground probe?

I'm not really sure either of these devices could have completely avoided this but I'm curious if you used them. Sorry to hear about it, I'd be pretty upset if I were you.

scub steve
12-15-2006, 12:50 PM
i got 3 powerbars set up 2 have surge protection 1 did not guess which one the heather was pluged into. there might be a little hope i seen a crab moving around in there so maybe everything is not dead

Beverly
12-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Seems like crabs are indestructible!

Sorry for your losses, Steve :cry: What a terrible blow just before Christmas :sad:

One thing I have learned about heaters after reading lots of horror stories about them is to replace them every couple of years whether it looks like they need it or not.

BMW Rider
12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I had a heater do that a couple years ago. I too had procrastinated at installing the GFCI outlet, but I did have a grounding probe. There was a heck of a mess in the sump, lots of black scum and a horrible burnt smell. I did a big water change and ran a ton of carbon in it afterwards. I was fortunate to have no losses. Got the GFCI installed the next day and replaced the heaters in both tanks with titanium ones.

danny zubot
12-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I haven't had a heater blow up but I did have a mishap where my MH and Pc's fell in the tank. Not sure why but I didn't loose anything. Skimmer pulled rusty colored skum out of the tank for a couple of days from the various metels that coroded due to electrified salt water.

mark
12-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear.

I can offer up some xenia for when you get your tank back up.

Delphinus
12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow... so very sorry for your heartache. :(

Der_Iron_Chef
12-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Oh man. That really sucks, sorry to hear about it, man.

Like someone mentioned above, maybe some local fellow reefers can offer up some frags? Or something?

Don't give up! If something like this happened to me, I'd want people to tell me not to give up, throw a little encouragement my way.

Good luck :smile:

OCDP
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Bummer man.. sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up, it can be rebuilt, (bigger and better? :lol: ) I remember coming home from a weekend of camping to a 20g stew (MH's were left on for days) , I can somewhat relate to being so discouraged.. it will pass, and the bug will still be there just as it was before. :mrgreen:

scub steve
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Bummer man.. sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up, it can be rebuilt, (bigger and better? :lol: ) I remember coming home from a weekend of camping to a 20g stew (MH's were left on for days) , I can somewhat relate to being so discouraged.. it will pass, and the bug will still be there just as it was before. :mrgreen:

you beat me too it now im thinking i just need too go bigger .

scub steve
12-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I had a heater do that a couple years ago. I too had procrastinated at installing the GFCI outlet, but I did have a grounding probe. There was a heck of a mess in the sump, lots of black scum and a horrible burnt smell. I did a big water change and ran a ton of carbon in it afterwards. I was fortunate to have no losses. Got the GFCI installed the next day and replaced the heaters in both tanks with titanium ones.

ya i got some cleaning up too do but everything died pretty instant in my tank. on the plus side my cyano seems to be doing just find i think im going to vomit lol you cant kill that stuff

TRIX
12-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Man that sucks. My theory....... If you have your heaters in your sump and have a grounding probe close by the electricity should go almost directly to the grounding probe. So none of the electricity should make it's way into the display tank thus reducing a killer jolt to any livestock. Now if you don't have a sump I would put the probe as close as I could to the most concentration of electrical things in the tank. This is just my thoughts. But man don't give up. Take this oportunity to make any changes you've always wanted to and start again.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Condolences man. It really sucks that this happened at this time, but going bigger & better is the way to beat these blues.

Anthony

scub steve
12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
were do i get a grounding probe???

TRIX
12-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Most salt water stores carry them. JL aquatics http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=mc-gp .

deep_six
12-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I feel for you!
Believe it or not I had a similar experiance a couple weeks ago. I put a second heater into my sump to better regulate temp. and not even an hour later it completely exploded. The side of my sump was gone and there was water all over my office entrance. Luckily there was not a lot of damage to the main tank and most of the fish and corals survived. Although my toadstool leather did close up for about a week after.
Everything seems back to normal now.

Dale
12-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi Deep six! Welcome to the forum.

It's probably worth noting the difference between surge protectors and GFCI's.

A surge protector protects delicate electronics from surges originating from the grid (lightning strikes, transformer accidents).
A GFCI prevents an electrical component from drawing too much power from the grid (malfunctioning heaters, knocked in lights).
A surge protector won't prevent electrification of the water but a GFCI will. I don't know if it would have helped in this case but a GFCI's reaction time is in milliseconds. A grounding probe is useful in removing random stray voltage but it would not help in a large way in this situation. The grounding probe would try to draw off the unrestricted voltage from the heater but it could not turn the heater off. Only a GFCI or a blown fuse/breaker would do that.

As you can tell I am a big fan of GFCI's and I try to install them in every system I set up. I have already had a client that had her arm elbow deep in the tank when she knocked the actinics in. She received a small shock but the GFCI worked and tripped off the power supply.

midgetwaiter
12-16-2006, 10:21 AM
A GFCI prevents an electrical component from drawing too much power from the grid (malfunctioning heaters, knocked in lights).

This is technically incorrect. What A GFCI does is detect that there is current leaving on the hot wire that is not being returned on the neutral. ie it is going to ground through you, this is when it trips. In Steve's situation the current didn't have a path to ground, the GFCI may not have stopped anything

A ground probe could also save you in the "knock the lights in" situation. If there is a device leaking current into the water the ground probe gives it a path to ground. The "save you" function of a ground probe is pretty simple, that current wants to go to ground and hopefully the probe provides a better way to do that than you do.

Talking about a ground probe "removing" stray voltage is also flawed. The assumption is that having this stray current in the tank is bad for the inhabitants but there isn't a lot of proof for it. A leaky device is giving you potential current but it's not until you get a path to ground, ie your probe, that you have current flowing through the water. Think about a bird on a power line. Touching one line, no problem but touch another line or the ground at the same time and you have a big problem. Is potential current or a completed circuit worse for fish and inverts? I don't think there is a definitive answer.

The thing that could have saved Steve's critters is both a GFCI and a ground probe. When the heater broke the current would have gone to ground rather than returning on the neutral and it should trip. This probably would have worked but I think you'd have to look far and wide to find many people that use both these devices.

Dale
12-17-2006, 02:22 AM
This is technically incorrect. What A GFCI does is detect that there is current leaving on the hot wire that is not being returned on the neutral. ie it is going to ground through you, this is when it trips. In Steve's situation the current didn't have a path to ground, the GFCI may not have stopped anything

A ground probe could also save you in the "knock the lights in" situation. If there is a device leaking current into the water the ground probe gives it a path to ground. The "save you" function of a ground probe is pretty simple, that current wants to go to ground and hopefully the probe provides a better way to do that than you do.

Talking about a ground probe "removing" stray voltage is also flawed. The assumption is that having this stray current in the tank is bad for the inhabitants but there isn't a lot of proof for it. A leaky device is giving you potential current but it's not until you get a path to ground, ie your probe, that you have current flowing through the water. Think about a bird on a power line. Touching one line, no problem but touch another line or the ground at the same time and you have a big problem. Is potential current or a completed circuit worse for fish and inverts? I don't think there is a definitive answer.

The thing that could have saved Steve's critters is both a GFCI and a ground probe. When the heater broke the current would have gone to ground rather than returning on the neutral and it should trip. This probably would have worked but I think you'd have to look far and wide to find many people that use both these devices.

Yes, to be specific I would have prefered to say that the GFCI trips when an appliance uses electricity in a way not normally anticipated (my bad). I was being somewhat general on the point as I was trying to illustrate the difference between a surge protector and a GFCI. Some people assume a surge protector on a powerbar will protect them which, of course, is false. I also made note that I didn't know if it would have helped in that situation. My main intention was to help others protect themselves while working near saltwater.

It's interesting that this type of discussion doesn't come up more considering the amount of electrical appliances used in close proximity to an excellent conductor like saltwater. Like plumbing a tank I always try to plan for the worse case scenario.

I'm a little worried about your contention that a grounding probe is as protective as a GFCI though. If you want to bet your life using a grounding probe that might outground you vs a GFCI that will save you go ahead - but please put me in your will first :biggrin:

In the first paragraph you say a grounding probe removes stray voltage and then you say it's flawed. Do you mean that it will remove the voltage but the need for doing so is not definate? I don't know about the fish and corals but I just recently worked on a tank that was constantly giving me low voltage shocks. The reason was a non submersable heater be used as a submersable. I sure would have appreciated that probe. I don't really have an opinion on the effect on fish and corals though - don't know.

And lastly, I have both - I'm such a scaredy pants :redface:

midgetwaiter
12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
I just wanted to add to what you had posted in the hopes of someone not getting confused. I have a habit of being pedantic about these because I work in the computer industry and just like reef keeping I think they are times where trying to summarize how something works opens the door to people making bad judgments. I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of the time when people discuss something like this with half an explanation you end up with nothing but hand waving and generalizations, may as well count on voodoo to save you. On the other hand maybe I'm just a jerk.

I would agree that a GFCI offers better protection than a ground probe.

The thing with the probe "removing" the current is complicated. I'm not convinced that if you have current in the tank but no path to ground that anything is harmed, like the bird on a wire. If you do ground it then you definitely have current flowing and I think from the view of the tank inhabitants that's probably worse. When you stick your hand in there, better to have the probe but if you tried in in a situation where you were not grounded at the time you'd never notice it.

Dale
12-17-2006, 08:45 AM
:biggrin: