PDA

View Full Version : Big Surprise when you look closely

Pan
12-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Wow, thought my damsel was eating my snails (i saw him poke him a couple times) but nope low and behold i notice one ugly brown crab in there today...seems like i will have to rip all the rock out to get him, as he looked (saw him briefly then he was gone) like a very nasty crab i saw on reef central. Anyone have any surefire crab catching methods? ( no sitting on toilet seat jokes please) or is ripping out the rock the only way?

edited (1/2 later) whoa he has a hord of bloody snails/shells i his little area damn...i gotta find him, move the rock around but i don't want to take it all out way tooooo much of it now, well maybe a can heat some old aquarium water up tomorrow and then put the rock without the corals on it in there...hmm..

Beverly
12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Just before going to bed, securely prop a glass baited with a small chunk of meaty food such as scallop at a 45 degree angle near where you think the crab lives. The smelly bait should lure the crab into the glass, but it won't be able to climb out because of the angle.

As a last resort, if you do take apart your tank to get at the rock, hot tank water isn't going to budge the crab from its rock. Get a good light and look into all the crevices of each rock. Use some kind of long, sturdy, skinny metal tool to dig into the crevices. You'd be surprised how many other crabs you'll find this way.

Pan
12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Just before going to bed, securely prop a glass baited with a small chunk of meaty food such as scallop at a 45 degree angle near where you think the crab lives. The smelly bait should lure the crab into the glass, but it won't be able to climb out because of the angle.

As a last resort, if you do take apart your tank to get at the rock, hot tank water isn't going to budge the crab from its rock. Get a good light and look into all the crevices of each rock. Use some kind of long, sturdy, skinny metal tool to dig into the crevices. You'd be surprised how many other crabs you'll find this way.

yeah like a skewer for shishkabob (spelling?) i saw one and oops its was one of my emeralds, i'm going to try the glass trick. he was a mean old looking crab thats for sure. On the up side i kind of just move some rock to one side etc..now i see so many potential aquscaping possibilites :) can't wait to get the new lights as well :)

Beverly
12-15-2006, 09:37 PM
:biggrin: Happy hunting