PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare Sucked Up!

Der_Iron_Chef
12-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Aquarist's intuition. I thought, for some reason, to go check out the aquarium. I found my sea hare with it's head completely sucked into the inlet vents of my Seio 1500 :neutral: I unplugged it right away and took the powerhead (with sea hare stuck in it) out of the tank right away, because I understand they can possibly kill everything in the tank if they die?

The prognosis was not good. It was heaving and pulsating slowly and exuding the white slimy stuff they exude when they're stressed, as well as some snotty looking stuff. It was quite foul, actually. Long story short, the guy slowly wormed himself out and seems to be perfectly fine.

Is there any way to sea hare proof the powerheads?

Pan
12-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Aquarist's intuition. I thought, for some reason, to go check out the aquarium. I found my sea hare with it's head completely sucked into the inlet vents of my Seio 1500 :neutral: I unplugged it right away and took the powerhead (with sea hare stuck in it) out of the tank right away, because I understand they can possibly kill everything in the tank if they die?

The prognosis was not good. It was heaving and pulsating slowly and exuding the white slimy stuff they exude when they're stressed, as well as some snotty looking stuff. It was quite foul, actually. Long story short, the guy slowly wormed himself out and seems to be perfectly fine.

Is there any way to sea hare proof the powerheads?
put gutter guard around it?

Squiddy
12-15-2006, 03:54 AM
I've got a smaller SEIO powerhead that is exactly the same as that. Couple of weeks back I happened to glance at my tank and found my Coral Beauty stuck to the intake slits. She was pretty scared after that but is doing just fine. I have no idea how long she was there.

Anyways, this prompted me to try and figure out a way to keep fish away from there. Still haven't got anything but I was thinking about maybe sticking some of that plastic coarse mesh stuff around it.

^^^ There you go, Subdued beat me to it.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah...that's what I was thinking, too. It'll look really ghetto. Aesthetics....pfffft!