PDA

View Full Version : new empty tank looking for ...well everything

rossb
10-26-2002, 04:00 PM
Greetings. I have been seriously researching saltwater tanks for about a year and just about have a 180 gallon reef tank. I would have one but well they didn't deliver it yet. I have some stuff (from people that were very good at killing live fish) which is too small for my big tank which I am willing to trade. I have lots of freshwater stuff also, I have a 30/50/90 gallon tank for my goldfish (yup just goldfish) and a indoor/outdoor pond for my turtle).

So I am looking for tips about sand (like what I should use instead of aragonite because it dang expensive), and lights and DIY protein skimmers..and well any other thing I need. I have been making rock for the my almost reef and it will be ready in about a month.

Although I have many hobbies my other favorite thing is woodwork and I have a geat collection of most every kind of woodworking tool (well the important ones). I can make anything I can think of ... mostly.

I live in the NW...scenic acres and welcome any kind of advice/tips you would care to share with an old guy (I was a teenager when they landed on the moon).

thanks R

Canadian Man
10-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Well R;
If you need any DIY help/advice I believe I am your man :wink:
I think most of the Calgarians would agree that if ya need some help with a project give me a shout.
I hope I am not comming across as...well stuck up?
There are many helpful people in many areas in the calgary forum and on this board in general.

So as far as your questions go.

I have made a diy skimmer out of pvc and If I could do it all over again I am sure it would be better but I found that my Red Sea Berlin skimmer works fantastic too and it was cheep. Just look for a used one. I know a few people that have them for sale.

Sand; Well use what ever you want...seriously....
Some of the calgary folk used glass (tau3201-kim)
(Delphinus-Tony) has bags of aragonite for sale at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price you would pay locally.

Lights; You can DIY for a little bit cheeper than purchasing.
I recently got a single 250w Ballast from J and L aquatics. So it's a PFO ballast and it's dam nice for the 30 to 40 dollars extra then when I made my other one with my own box and such.

Cheers.
Ask away if there is any other questions.

Bob I
10-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the board. To begin with I was older than you when they landed on the moon. I am more than a little glad to see another reefer in the NW. We already have a couple of Scenic Acres denizens. I myself am in Crowfoot Village, and am hosting a reef club meeting on Tuesday next. Even though it promises to be crowded, you might be able to drop by? As to sand, there are a number of possibilities. Tony had Aragonite available at $25.00 per bag (don't know if there is any left) I have used Silica Sand with success (I like pool filter sand). Kim has another product he is fond of (I think it sandblasting sand). I will let the other guys introduce themselves now. :D :D

StirCrazy
10-26-2002, 05:39 PM
lights and DIY protein skimmers..and well any other thing I need. I have been making rock for the my almost reef and it will be ready in about a month.

thanks R

Take a look in the DIY section from the beginning they are lots of great projests in there and a welth of knowledge for the DIYer and a lot of people who built stuff had digital camera sso there are lots of pics also :)

Steve

AJ_77
10-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Hey, welcome! We're just about neighbours (Tuscany). :D Try to drop in on the meeting Tuesday so you can size up what a motley group you're engaging here! :wink:

I've received a TON of information, support and advice from the locals and others on this board. Not to mention DIBS. :)

Cheers,

Alan

Delphinus
10-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Canreef, Ross! :)

I do have some sand if you're interested, unfortunately I don't have a lot of sand left, not nearly enough to create a DSB in a 180, but, I can for sure get you hooked up with something. This stuff is primo white sand, very fine grade. (Similar to Caribea "oolitic" or whatever they call it.) I was going to use some of it for my new tank, but, I can get you set up with something for sure. $25 per 30lbs.

Give me a call if you're interested, and we'll figure this out.

(Maybe another pallet needs to be brought in!!! Aaargggh, maybe someone else can store it if we ever do this again. ;) )

Tony - 254-0976

rossb
10-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks for al lthe replies, I think I will try to pop by on Tuesday.

Canadian man ... I also am a DIY kinda guy. My other other hobby is sailing and I have crafted all manner of things for that boat. I'm also pretty dang good at things and not stuck up a bit :) :roll: . And just like you I never mispell anything (not)

I just got some weird skimmer at perland for 70% off ... and I'm not sure it is a good one but after I tank it apart...and modify it, it should work either better or not at all :shock: .

I will have questions and my other other other hobbie comes into play here...I always have about 25 gallons of wine on the go...and i'm cetainly not beyond plying someone with liquor to extract everything they know from them.

thanks
r

Canadian Man
10-26-2002, 10:45 PM
We are for sure spelling geniusus! :lol:

I saw those skimmers at the petland in the north.
Neet units. I would be very intresed in finding out how they work out once running.
I kinda took one apart in the store :wink: and they look fairly simple.

Good score.....I think!

Dez
10-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Hey, welcome to the board. I've got lots of pumps and skimmers and stuff if you need. But I do live in Edmonton. Ask Jonathan what I have. He's been to my junkyard. Take care

des

Bob I
10-27-2002, 01:39 AM

my other other other hobbie comes into play here...I always have about 25 gallons of wine on the go...

Aha another oenophile. I too usually have a batch on the go. Right now Ultra premiun Pinot Grigio. Perhaps some trading is in the offing here. :D :D :D

rossb
10-27-2002, 01:12 PM
rcipema I normally make chateau tuesday (cheap white wine for my girl) but on occasion I keep some red in reserve for some extra special ocassions (like saturday night). I have perfected the non-bottle method of wine making and haven't bottled for years. The down side is one must have several batches on the go at all times...if that is a down side.

Delphius I will take all the sand you have.

Bob I
10-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Just an idea on the sand. Because of the cost of Aragonite, I build a base of Silica Sand, and top that off with a layer of Aragonite. That way I have the nice white on top. It may eventually get mixed together, but that works fine too. It just isn't as white.

As to Chateau Tuesday. I have never heard of that. I only make white premium stuff these days, no more red as I am tired of headaches :( , and I bottle, because I carry the stuff around in the Summer. :D