PDA

View Full Version : DIY Beefier UPS Battery Back Up Project

ron101
12-15-2006, 12:25 AM
With this season's storms and resultant power outages many of us were left with still, cold tanks waiting on hydro to turn the life support back on. I was one of the luckier ones who's power was restored after only a few hours but I figured it was nonetheless a wake up call to get some sort of back up power system in place.

There is a thread going in the Van Reefing Club forum that discusses things a bit. Basically there are two main options: battery power and generator power.

Battery power has the advantage of cost and automatic switch over. The serious disadvantage is run time. Most off the shelf consumer grade UPS's will only supply a couple hundred watts of power for about 5-15 minutes.

Generators of course can put out gobs of power relative to a UPS; enough to run a whole system, lights and heaters included. They can run as long as you have fuel so they will cover extended outages. Downside is cost and lack of automatic switch over (yes there are units that will do that, at the expense of another zero to the price).

My priorities were basic life support (circulation and maybe a small heater) and automatic switching. I want to ensure that the system is covered while I'm out of the house. So what I'm looking for is some sort of UPS with a much larger reserve.

I searched online and found a couple brief articles about using a computer UPS with deep cycle wet lead acid batteries. Consumer UPS's use a small 12V lead acid gel cell rated around 10 amp hours (Ah). The batteries are small due to packaging and weight considerations and gel style so they are spill proof. Both these considerations restrict the batteries capacity. So the idea is to get a 12V marine or RV battery and wire it in to the UPS. I picked up a 95 Ah deep cycle battery from Costco for $40, a second hand UPS for $15, and a couple terminals for $5.

http://members.shaw.ca/rjwalker/pictures/upsstuff1.jpg

The UPS is an APC 650 VA model; maximum output is 400W. According to the specs on all the UPS's that I have looked at. The duration of the power output is non-linear with change of output level. As in if you cut the power output in half (from 210W to 105 W), the duration will about triple. This model is rated for 37 minutes at 105 watts with its 12 Ah battery. If the same math holds for 2x25w powerheads and a 95 Ah battery, this setup should be good for about 14 hours.

Of course one can always add more batteries in parallel to add extra capacity, limited only by the UPS's charging ability. It might be possible to add in a dedicated charger like the one shown to increase the charging rate; I will have to see if it interferes with the UPS's battery metering circuits. Also more batteries would increase the need for ventilation, charging batteries give off hydrogen gas.

My goal was to get about half a day's worth of basic life support for the tank. Beyond that I figure I would be home and could use more crude methods such as manual stirring and heating water with a camp stove. Comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome.

Psyire
12-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Very nice, I'll be following along with your progress. I'm very intereseted in how it turns out for you.

Delphinus
12-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Cool. So is the battery charger (pictured) just to get the battery charged up initially, and after that just use the UPS unit?

ron101
12-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Cool. So is the battery charger (pictured) just to get the battery charged up initially, and after that just use the UPS unit?

Yes, that's the plan.

First update: The 'aftermarket' battery does work with the UPS. However, when tripped, the MJ-1200 powerhead does not run well on the inverted DC power. Gonna try out some of the different pumps.

gramp
12-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Please do not keep a battery in the house the hydrogen gas goes ever whare.I had one in the garage for my radio turned every thing to rust withing
3 FTdistroyed all my saw blades [ 100s $ ].Keep it out side.

Veng68
12-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Anyone use that Canadian tire Eliminator 1200 (looks like a cooler on wheels)?

Cheers.
Vic[veng68]

christyf5
12-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Anyone use that Canadian tire Eliminator 1200 (looks like a cooler on wheels)?

Cheers.
Vic[veng68]

I think Chad has one of those. I see they have it on sale this week. Theres a cheap generator in the flyer as well :biggrin:

ron101
12-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Talk about coincidence...

I lost power for 16 hrs during that last blow and didnt have that battery system sorted out. Instead I wrapped the tank in blankets, did some salt water cooking with the Coleman stove, and lots of manual stirring.

I did hit Can Tire and got one of their generators but I still would like a short term automatic battery system of some sort. I'm planning to continue with the project in Jan once back from the holidays.

In the meantime has anyone had experience with running pumps/powerheads on inverted DC power?

Dave C
12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
My Quiet 1 6000 & Mag 9 both run on a Cdn Tire Eliminator and Nautilus deep cycle battery. No problem at all.