PDA

View Full Version : Amount of foam from Remora C

tknude
12-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have experience with the amount of foam produced from a Remora C skimmer on a 33 gallon tank? I just set my newly aquired one up last night and I know it has to break in . I am going away for a week over Christmas and was wondering if I should be concerned about it overflowing. I am considering doing a mod on it so it could overflow into an external container. Any thougts or opinions. Not sure if this should have been put in the DIY section or here.

Thanks,

Ted.

fresh
12-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Remora's DO NOT overflow... If anything, after the cup gets full, the excess simmate will drain back into the tank.

The do not overflow into your carpet/floors or anything like that. That is one of the main reasons why remoras are so "good".

As for foam production, in a weeks time, depending on your bio-load, the cup will probably be full, especially if your tank has been running skimmer-less for a long time.

But the good news is, the skimmate will simply go back to where it came from, and that is your tank :)

Todd
12-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I have one running on my 33 gallon, I have a moderatly low bioload and feed sparingly - I would be very surprised if mine filled up even half of the collection cup in a week. But fresh is right, it will not overflow. The only problem I have heard with these skimmers (besides the microbubbles and noise) is having the powerhead come detached and pushing water over the edge of the tank, but a zip tie should alleviate any concern of this happening.

tknude
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
OK, thanks guys. I can do without modifying it then. My tank is a few months old and I have been doing 15% water changes every week. As far as bioload, I have 2 clowns, 1 goby, and 7 or 8 snails, no coral yet. It came with some plastic clamps that I tightened up to hold the pump on. I sure hope it gets more quiet as time goes on. Definately not the quietest thing, thats for sure. Does the use of the preskimmer box cut down on the noise?

Ted.

Todd
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
The preskimmer will make it more efficient by taking in more dissolved organics that accumulate on the surface, and will help with the microbubbles (if you have any problems with that), but wont help with the noise. I have found a little trick that helps with the noise: Take the collection cup out and on the side that the water goes into the skimmer take some clean cloth and stuff it in there (not down to where it touches the water though). Fill it with just enough so that the collection cup sits at it normally would. I have found this to cut the noise in half, but replace the cloth frequently as it manages to get pretty dirty.

Moogled
12-25-2006, 08:10 AM
All I do is plug it in gently.

It takes a few tries, but I find that if I plug it in slowly with less force as other plugs, it doesn't make any noise when the pump "suddenly" turns on.