PDA

View Full Version : Removing glass baffle in an operational sump

hqgc
12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Hello everybody,
I am trying to remove one of my baffles in my sump. The sump and tank are up and currently running. I have tried cutting the silicone with an "Olfa" knife but cannot get the thing to budge!
I was wondering if it is an option to break the glass and then remove it that way. I am concerned about getting broken glass into the system ( pumps,etc.)
Any other ideas?
Thanks

midgetwaiter
12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I've done this, it's kind of a PITA but you should be able to get a clean break. Score right down the middle on one side and then smack the other side on the score line with a screw driver handle or something.

hqgc
12-13-2006, 01:57 AM
I've done this, it's kind of a PITA but you should be able to get a clean break. Score right down the middle on one side and then smack the other side on the score line with a screw driver handle or something.

"Score" down it with what?

Pan
12-13-2006, 02:03 AM
a tile cutter sometimes works ok, do you have a diamond ring around?

hqgc
12-13-2006, 02:35 AM
A diamond ring , maybe , but my girlfriend would kill me !

midgetwaiter
12-13-2006, 03:00 AM
Don't use a diamond you'll chip the bloddy thing and never hear the end of it. Use a glass cutter from the hardware store, they're cheap.

Pan
12-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Ive never used one for that purpose but i know people who have without problems, was just a sugestion.

danny zubot
12-13-2006, 09:44 PM
How much of a gap you have between the edge of the baffle and the sump wall? If there is a gap you could try using thin air craft cable to saw the baffle out.

hqgc
12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the input!
I think I will pick up a glass cutter and try that route. I will update the D.I.Y. crowd when I am done on how it worked out.

Dabbler
12-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Don't use a diamond you'll chip the bloddy thing and never hear the end of it. Use a glass cutter from the hardware store, they're cheap.

Then it isn't a real diamond.....and then you WILL hear about it

midgetwaiter
12-16-2006, 04:03 AM
Then it isn't a real diamond.....and then you WILL hear about it

Been there, done that. Real diamonds cheap quite easily regardless of what the movies say about it.

Salinity Now
12-17-2006, 05:10 AM
My personal opinion in the matter is not to cut or alter the glass baffles in an operational sump/aquarium. Why risk the following.

a. injury/cutts/infection etc.
b. increase possibility of damaging the side panels of the sump (while its still holding water)
c. small shards of glass left in the sump afterwards.

I'd purchase a new tank/sump, make the conversions your intending to have and then replace it with the existing one. It's a little more effort and cost, but why take the chance.

hqgc
01-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Ended up using a hammer to break the glass. Worked fine and everythink is ok.