PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 6100 cleaning

Pescador
12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Is anyone running these on the old 7094 controller? It's only been 5 weeks since I've given them a total cleaning since they seized up last time from calcium build up. They are in streamrocks so it's a real PITA.
They have the new impellers, I keep the calcium at about 400ppm and keep the controller settings low to help with heat buildup that speeds up calcification.
The 7095 controller has a new setting that is supposed to help.
Is anybody running these? How long do you get between cleanings?
What are your controller settings? What is your calcium level?

andresont
12-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Is anyone running these on the old 7094 controller? It's only been 5 weeks since I've given them a total cleaning since they seized up last time from calcium build up. They are in streamrocks so it's a real PITA.
They have the new impellers, I keep the calcium at about 400ppm and keep the controller settings low to help with heat buildup that speeds up calcification.
The 7095 controller has a new setting that is supposed to help.
Is anybody running these? How long do you get between cleanings?
What are your controller settings? What is your calcium level?

I use to run 6100 on my 108 Gal and it only seized only once in one year period (twice if i count the snail that miraculously got inside working pump).
My Calcium was at 360 aprox. and controller set was at 30%-100% at full power set (all the way clockwise). All I did is soaked it in the vinegar and that’s it I really like these pumps. My controller is 7091 though.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/pumps.php?product_ID=tz-ts6110k

Pescador
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks andresont
I don't get it, seems like the cleaning interval keeps getting shorter and shorter. I'm going to ask Roger at Tunze if he has any ideas.

Delphinus
12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I just went through the process of cleaning my two 6100's. I find I put off the chore because they're permanently connected to that little box thing and I used nails to hold those in place. :redface: So I have to soak them in vinegar with them sort of hanging off the tank. It would be so much easier to disconnect them from the box and take the pump to the sink and work on them there.

I seem to do it twice a year so far. Probably should be more often, but..

Anyhow I always find a calcium buildup in the bearings under the impeller. I wonder though if I actually tracked my magnesium and did something about the level whether this would be as bad a problem, since they say a higher magnesium helps hold Calcium in solution (or whatever it is).

I'm running mine on the 7095, although I'm not sure what's different about it that it would be better for buildup than the 7094.

Psyire
12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
They have new 'one-peice' impellers that are less prone to buildup. I'm running them and they are pretty slick.

Pescador
12-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks Tony, that's mostly what Roger from Tunze suggested as well.

I think my levels are within reason and I have the new impellers.
Mag 1500 ppm
Alk 9.6 dkh / 3.43 meq/l
PH 8.2

The 7095 has the Interval 2 setting that the 7094 doesn't. It keeps one pump idling and pulses the other instead of shutting off while the other one pulses.

Keeping the one idling instead of stopping is supposed to really help them not to stick.

Something else to upgrade, don't you hate planned obsolescence:lol:

Already got a list going
Euroreefs- new pumps and impellers
Reefkeeper- new settings and PH control
Tunze controller
1080P TV

Delphinus
12-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Can the new impellers just be ordered or do you have to get a new pump? When did they come out? My newest 6100 is only from a year ago (Boxing Day sale ..)

andresont
12-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Can the new impellers just be ordered or do you have to get a new pump? When did they come out? My newest 6100 is only from a year ago (Boxing Day sale ..)
i have both 6100 and new wave box (they are black now) with new impeller)) i can try and see if they will fit each other. Even though wavebox comes with 6200 pump i think it is the same diameter. I kinda like old prop better it looks so cool!
let me know if you want me to try and fit new prop to old 6100 pump.

Pescador
12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
J&L sent me the new impellers in July.
It's called 6000/6100 impeller assembly so I don't know if they fit 6200.
Model 6100.7 $42 bucks each.

Delphinus
12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
What is the reason for the change in design, do you know? Is it just that the bottom bearing pieces are prone to calcium buildup? Or is the new design superior in other ways as well?

Pescador
12-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I think the biggest thing is the middle hole goes completely through it now for better water flow for cooling and there are no more brake shoes it's one piece unit. And they say it's supposed to be a little quieter.

Psyire
12-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I ordered mine through Canada's Tunze Rep.

Phil: email: info@giesemannlicht.com

The part number you need is the 6100.700 New Stream impeller (includes propeller)