PDA

View Full Version : tank repair

bloat
12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
hello,
i gota 66gal hagen 8mm thick glass tank with a crack in it.
i'm not concerned about what my repair looks like as I will be using this tank for a refugium.

anyway....the crack is on the 48" long pc of glass. It is about 5" from the bottom on one end....is about 20" long....and tapers to the bottom, near the center of the glass. The pc that would normally break off is held in by the silicone.

I was wondering...if I was to remove the silicon in the areas effected, and patch an inside glass pc about 4" longer from where ever the current crack is, would this work??

mark
12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
I'd be concerned the crack would continue to run.

Might consider either replacing the pane or removing the silicone on the 3 edges and patching with a whole piece.

bloat
12-12-2006, 01:42 AM
pic to give an idea what i'm thinking......
the crack can't really run any more...it runs out each way.....
was hoping a patch might work....

Kabong
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
The best advise of course it to replace the whole pane.
If I was going to fix it though I'd remove the silicon around where the crack is.
Then get a piece of glass a couple inches larger then the area and silicon it in.
Followed by another piece siliconed on to the outside of the tank covering the crack once again.

Course don't blame me if you get a wet floor LOL ;)

bloat
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Well i'm gunna just replace the entire pane...i was able to find a 10mm chunk in the buy&sell & had it cut for a 12 cold ones.
I guess if it was a 10 or 20 gal, i prolly would have patched it, 66gal was to much to leave to uncertainty.
thnks for input