PDA

View Full Version : Automated Aquarium Hood

bassman
12-10-2006, 03:51 PM
From the 1st day of setting up my aquarium I toyed with the idea of having a automated way to lift the hood straight up off my tank with the push of a button. This would allow me to use my large tongs, scrapers, etc. without having to take my heavy oak hood off everytime or struggle to work around my hot MH lights.

Well after a lot of planning I finally came up with a system. It's very similar to the systems used to raise and lower flat panel televisions and it works awesome!!

Sorry about the video quality, I used my digital camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9edO7RyURQ

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Hahaha, that's awesome!!!

Der_Iron_Chef
12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Heck yeah. That's sweet!

AndyL
12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
For those of us who aren't technogeeks... How are they lifting those flat panel tv's? Looks/sounds like a pair of linear actuators - but looks can be deceiving.

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
for those of us who aren't technogeeks, <insert some very technical sounding question here> :p

I might have phrased it, somewhat eloquently, as "That look hard. Me not know how do that. Please show how."

;)

bassman
12-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I am very happy with how it turned out.

Looks/sounds like a pair of linear actuators - but looks can be deceiving.

Bingo! We have a winner!! A single linear actuator is exactly how it's done.

I had to build a frame out of aluminum box tube, attach 2 - 24" drawer slides on the sides and attach that to my tank stand. The actuator pushes up off the floor in the center against a cross brace that is part of the frame.

Beverly
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
You DIYers are amazing :cool: Great demo video :)

Kabong
12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Very nice!

bassman
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments everybody :biggrin:

st4tic
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
isnt that too loud and disturbing for the fish?

bassman
12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
No I am not sure why but the mic on that camera is mega sensitive, it's not loud at all. The fish don't even notice it's moving.

danny zubot
12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Thats great, now invent an automatic water changing thingy.:biggrin:

bassman
12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh that's easy. Timers, float switches and pumps LOL

One pump to pump out the old water, another one activated by a float switch inside your tank to pump water in from a makeup bucket. For your makeup water you would need a bucket, a motorized unit to dump salt in once the bucket is empty and another float switch to add water to the bucket after the salt was dumped in. Finally a timer to turn on the powerhead and heater.

Easy as pie LOL

RobbAdams
01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Where do I order one of these:mrgreen:

can you stop it at any height? If so It would be cool for breaking in new bulbs!

andsoitgoes
01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh that's easy. Timers, float switches and pumps LOL

One pump to pump out the old water, another one activated by a float switch inside your tank to pump water in from a makeup bucket. For your makeup water you would need a bucket, a motorized unit to dump salt in once the bucket is empty and another float switch to add water to the bucket after the salt was dumped in. Finally a timer to turn on the powerhead and heater.

Easy as pie LOL

hahaha - brilliant. Who needs humans??? Yay robots!!

Now, let's add on a way to do automatic water testing and adjustments based on the results that come back!

bassman
01-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Where do I order one of these:mrgreen:

can you stop it at any height? If so It would be cool for breaking in new bulbs!

Yup it stops at any height, perfect for bulb acclimation :-)

bassman
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
hahaha - brilliant. Who needs humans??? Yay robots!!

Now, let's add on a way to do automatic water testing and adjustments based on the results that come back!

Not 100% sure but I think there is something made that does that already. Very handy LOL
:biggrin: